repair and rebuild

JayGee

Aug 7, 2008
Been a long time since I was on this forum, Hope I am putting this in the right spot.

Anyway, We have a 16x32, 24000 gallon inground pool, from the 70s. We have replaced the liner several times in the past years. It has been without a liner for 3 years.

We are finally getting around to it and want to repair it. The mortar? on the bottom and the walls is cracking and breaking off, when you walk in it you can hear hollow spots. So it is in pretty bad shape.

What we were wondering, would it be possible to have this pool redone so we do not have to use liners? What is involved with that? Who would do it? I have called every pool service for 50 miles around nobody would touch it.

I have been told to just fill it in and start over, which does not make sense to me.

If the pics do not load just let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 23
Been a long time since I was on this forum, Hope I am putting this in the right spot.

Anyway, We have a 16x32, 24000 gallon inground pool, from the 70s. We have replaced the liner several times in the past years. It has been without a liner for 3 years.

We are finally getting around to it and want to repair it. The mortar? on the bottom and the walls is cracking and breaking off, when you walk in it you can hear hollow spots. So it is in pretty bad shape.

What we were wondering, would it be possible to have this pool redone so we do not have to use liners? What is involved with that? Who would do it? I have called every pool service for 50 miles around nobody would touch it.

I have been told to just fill it in and start over, which does not make sense to me.

If the pics do not load just let me know.

Thanks in advance.
What’s your budget for repairs? There’d be no reason to fill it in if you’re going to build a new one from scratch. At least the hole is dug already.

If you dont want a liner anymore, a pool builder will need to install a rebar cage, new plumbing, shotcrete and then plaster. You’ll likely need to find some mone who builds pool from scratch and have them treat this as that. Its going to be as expensive as a new pool though.

What’s your budget for repairs? There’d be no reason to fill it in if you’re going to build a new one from scratch. At least the hole is dug already.

If you dont want a liner anymore, a pool builder will need to install a rebar cage, new plumbing, shotcrete and then plaster. You’ll likely need to find some mone who builds pool from scratch and have them treat this as that. Its going to be as expensive as a new pool though.

Well honestly have no idea what pool prices are doing. what would be a really rough estimate for something like that. also why would it need all that, new plumbing and a rebar cage?

Well honestly have no idea what pool prices are doing. what would be a really rough estimate for something like that. also why would it need all that, new plumbing and a rebar cage?
$80k

If you dont want to use a liner, you need to use plaster (with cement/rebar structure) or I guess having a fiberglass pool installed could also work and be a little less expensive. That pool has been severely neglected and has trees/plants growing up through the floor. Its unlikely youll find anyone to repair that but you might have a chance at tearing it out and replacing with something similar.

Last edited:
$80k

If you dont want to use a liner, you need to use plaster (with cement/rebar structure) or I guess having a fiberglass pool installed could also work and be a little less expensive. That pool has been severely neglected and has trees/plants growing up through the floor. Its unlikely youll find anyone to repair that but you might have a chance at tearing it out and reacpking with something similar.
Well that is not an option in any way shape or form. So what would i need to do just to repair it, and go back to using a liner?

Well that is not an option in any way shape or form. So what would i need to do just to repair it, and go back to using a liner?
We’d have to get someone more experienced to review it as I’m not sure its repairable or not. Here’s a couple to try. @1poolman1 @MAPR-Austin

The floor and sides need to be rebuilt and the metal walls are probably rusted out and needs to be replaced.

"Repair" is basically building a new pool after the old one is cleaned up. The cost is probably around the same as building a new pool. You don't need to dig the hole but it will take a bunch of time to cleanup and rebuild the floor and remove the existing walls.

Your challenge is finding a pool builder willing to take on a non-standard build. They have crews who know how to start with virgin ground and build a pool. Cleaning up an existing pool is different work then the crews typically do. It is much more manual labor and hauling off of debris.

The pool is too far gone to "just go back to using a liner".

Reactions: 1poolman1