Renovation of 1981, Round 24' inground: Louisiana

Apr 20, 2017
Marksville, La
I posted a couple other threads for suggestions on coping and structural issues but wanted to post pics of the whole process and hopefully help someone out since I couldn't find much on my older pool and renovating it.

The pool was installed in 1981 and is a Pacific Pools, 24' inground, fiberglass walls with coping molded in the walls. The inside shape of the pool is like a mixing bowl, as soon as you get it it begins to slope down to 6' depth. We are looking to re-shape the bottom as well. The deck was sinking near the skimmer side due to water getting under the concrete when it was at a certain level in the pool. The coping was brittle and breaking in many areas and I wanted a larger patio area anyway. Had a hard time finding pool guys willing to take the challenge on and the ones that came gave me out of my price-range prices. Ended up finding concrete workers to give me a price to tear up, and pour a larger deck with cantilevered coping. After they are done, will have a pool builder come slightly re-slope the bottom and measure for a new liner.

Pics added soon...

Ok everyone, since the last post things went south for a while. Getting screwed from my concrete contractor, to new liner leaking, to pool skimmer leaking.. Anyway, after paying double to have my deck poured than original cost and myself fixing my liner leaks and skimmer problems, all appears to be good. You can't hire many good people that are trustworthy nowadays. Many beers, curse words, tears, and threats were had while removing this. New concrete deck holds water in 2 areas that I have no clue on how to fix but otherwise I'm satisfied that its all over. I filed a suit with the first concrete contractor and won the case due to him not showing up twice and now he has a bench warrant out for his arrest so that part still isn't finished. Anyway, pics to come. If I had to go back in time, I would have ripped it out and saved for a new build.

Concrete was supposed to be poured this day.. Well that never happened. Many lies and weeks later the contractor was fired and suit was filed. The wire was eventually pulled up and the framing redone by me and my father correctly. Fiber concrete was poured and just rebar securing pool walls was used. This was recommended by 2 other concrete contractors I hired to come finish the job before the pool walls shifted. One of the pool walls did develop a bow in it and had to be poured immediately to secure it.

My yard was left like this for me to fix. Huge hole was dug in the middle of the backyard to bury some concrete which eventually sank and I had 12 loads of topsoil brought in to correct the grading.

- - - Updated - - -

Concrete finally arrived. Coping in place ready to pour. I left approx half the water in the pool to help stabilize the walls.

- - - Updated - - -

Well what do ya know, areas on the new deck that hold water.... Still dealing with this issue..

Inside pool view. The liner guy did try and fix the sharp slope near the steps but didn't do the best job. Also, due to his liner measurements and him explaining the extra poolcrete he used to fix the slope, it delayed the liner company and took 6 weeks to get it in. What else can go wrong.. right?

Pic of him installing...

After all said and done, pool filled, I notice the bottom and sides begin to feel like jello... Not good. Major leak in a few areas. One near the skimmer that I had to turned under the slab for, chisel concrete out that I set the skimmer base in, just to find out that the leak on that side is due to the collar extension joint. Pool putty fixed it. Then another leak found on at the pool steps by using the dye method. The pool liner guy would not accept my calls and at this point, I wanted to fix this myself to know it wasn't rigged and fixed properly. Pulled each side off at a time and used boss silicon, cleaned rubber gaskets, and added twice the amount of stainless screws as before since the spacing was too far apart. DONE. leaks solved..

- - - Updated - - -

I have since removed the ugly fence and pool shed and moved the pump about 25 feet farther and on the side of the home. Graded all the back yard and now just looking for options for landscaping coming this spring. I sure hope to enjoy this thing way more this year than last.

Wow... a LOT of work done there. You've certainly earned the brew, friend!

There is something about inground round pools that I find charming. Sort of a very classic look maybe? Pretty liner choice too. No more slide?

Are you sure about the 17k gallons though? I'd have guessed more like 13k? Your chemistry and PoolMath will tell if that is off or not.

Maddie :flower:

:shock: as the pool turns to the max!!!

Did you know they dug that hole and put the concrete in it? They did the same thing at our school when they built it AFTER being paid to haul it off! The 3 huge bury spots were not found until nails and such started coming up and hurting the kids when they stepped on them!!!! gurrrrrr The company had gone out of business by then so it was all on the school district to dig it all out and refill it. Could have bought a lot of pencils with that money :(

:hug: that all of this happened to you but it sure did come out pretty!

For the areas that hold water...............my idea would be to saw cut for a channel drain making sure it slopes away from the house walls. Can you see what is in my head when I say that? I can post more details if needed.

Kim:kim:

Wow... a LOT of work done there. You've certainly earned the brew, friend!

There is something about inground round pools that I find charming. Sort of a very classic look maybe? Pretty liner choice too. No more slide?

Are you sure about the 17k gallons though? I'd have guessed more like 13k? Your chemistry and PoolMath will tell if that is off or not.

Maddie :flower:

Thanks for the response, I did use that and came out with 16700 I thought. The pool is 24' round, 4' sides and sloping to 6'. Not much area is actually 4' so I guesstimated average 4.75'. Looking at some signatures I questioned the pool size as well lol. Just recalculated at it was 16,100 which is prob closer anyway. I,ll correct. yes, slide is gone and has been relocated on a wood deck at my father-in-laws camp.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.