Renovating system- should I switch to VS pump?

Fjvaughn

May 21, 2017
NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I am looking to upgrade my system a bit before the season and I'm contemplating several things.
First off, I don't like my sand filter, so I'm switching to either Pentair Quad 60 DE or Clean & Clear 420 cartridge. Thoughts? I'm also looking to install Easy Touch Automation.
The question is, my Hayward 1 HP Super Pump is like 3 years old and works fine but since I'm upgrading filter and automation, should I replace the pump and go VS as well? Wondering if the reduced electricity consumption is worth spending the extra money now or waiting till pump dies. Another question is does anyone recommend Bioshield UV Sterilizer? I have a smilar item in my furnace and it does help, but in the pool plumbing is it necessary, especially if I have no issues with water quality from my SWG?
I appreciate the feedback, as this is a lot of questions.

21,000 gallon vinyl liner pool. Pentair Sand Dollar SD80 filter. Hayward 1HP Superpump. Pentair Intellichlor IC-60. Dolphin Nautilus cleaner. Rheem gas heater.

Have you ever tried to add a bit of pool DE to your sand filter?

I believe NJ has pretty high energy rates, right?? If so a VS pump can pay for itself in just a few years (I've read 3?). You can run it on low speed for 24 hours for less than your current pump for 8 hours. Your only potential problem is that right now, with the massive run on replacement pool parts in Texas after their freeze, well... folks are scrambling to find equipment.

No one here recommends a UV "sterilizer". It is not appropriate for your outdoor pool. If the sun hits your pool, you've got Free UV.

Maddie :flower:

You can sell your old pump for top dollar right now on FB marketplace/ OfferUp due to all the shortages. It will definitely take a chunk out of your purchase price and lower the $$ you need to recoup with energy savings. Mine skimmed fine at about 100W and only needed about 12 hours a day. But @ roughly $10 a month we just left it on 24/7 for the ambiance and looking out at the moving water. I never even saw that $20 a month in the bill.

I had at a dozen friends stand over my pump and see the wattage readout with their own eyes after complaining that their SS pump cost them $100 a month. Each and every one of them then came up with 10 excuses why theirs was still better. I gave up arguing and trying because nobody wanted to listen. ‘Oh, your pool is expensive to run ??? That sucks. How’s your burger ?’

F,

I would have to assume, since you have a SWCG, you must have to run your pump 12 hours a day to generate the amount of chlorine you need?? How long do you run your pump now?

Like the newdude, I run my 3 HP IntelliFlo 24/7, most of the time at about 1200 RPM, for less than $20 bucks a month. And it is so quiet, when it was new, I actually had to touch it to make sure it was still running.. :mrgreen: That said, there is no reason that you can't run your single speed pump until it dies, if that works for you.

If you are having issues keeping your pool clear and algae free, it is not because you don't have a UV system, it is because you are not keeping your chlorine level high enough.

Thanks,

Jim R.

F,

I would have to assume, since you have a SWCG, you must have to run your pump 12 hours a day to generate the amount of chlorine you need?? How long do you run your pump now?

Like the newdude, I run my 3 HP IntelliFlo 24/7, most of the time at about 1200 RPM, for less than $20 bucks a month. And it is so quiet, when it was new, I actually had to touch it to make sure it was still running.. :mrgreen: That said, there is no reason that you can't run your single speed pump until it dies, if that works for you.

If you are having issues keeping your pool clear and algae free, it is not because you don't have a UV system, it is because you are not keeping your chlorine level high enough.

Thanks,

Jim R.
when you all say 24/7, do you really mean, actually 24/7/365?? i get the low and slow energy savings with VS pumps... but dont the things need some rest/cooling? like, 1-2 hrs/day that is turned off? im just about to install my first VS pump and looking to run it pretty much all day on slow too...but trying to understand whether that literally means 24/7 forever or if you give the thing some rest every once in a while...

I believe NJ has pretty high energy rates, right??

NJ electrical prices are about 18 cents/kwh. That is less then half the price of places like CA.

In addition NJ pool season is only 4-5 months.

Payback depends how many hours/day the OP runs his 1 HP pump. It can be 5 years or more.

Probably best for him to keep running his pump until it has a problem unless he feels he can sell it and put that money to the new VS pump.

when you all say 24/7, do you really mean, actually 24/7/365?? i get the low and slow energy savings with VS pumps... but dont the things need some rest/cooling? like, 1-2 hrs/day that is turned off? im just about to install my first VS pump and looking to run it pretty much all day on slow too...but trying to understand whether that literally means 24/7 forever or if you give the thing some rest every once in a while...

I have run my pool pumps 24/7 for over 30 years.

Thermal cycles and start/stops are what wear out electrical equipment. Constant operation is best for long life. Pump motors are made for continuous operation.

Mostly,

In my case, I live in an area where pools are not normally closed in the winter.. So when I say 24/7/365 that is exactly what I mean.. The only time I shut my pumps off is when I do my routine twice a year filter maintenance.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The other thing to consider is that running your pump at lower speeds for longer helps the sand filter out a good bit. I run my pump 24/7 and I add a bit of DE to the sand filter when I backwash it. If it was me I would replace the pump with a VS and sell the old one, keep the filter and not bother with the UV light.

EDIT:

Also just for reference here are the watts that my particular pump uses at the speeds I run it. I never use the top speed for anything other then backwashing and mixing chemicals for 15 minutes when I add them to the pool. My pool is nothing fancy, I don’t have any water features or a spa, just two returns. Your energy use will probably also be affected somewhat by your plumbing as well.

Pentair superflo VST

1400 RPM= 190 Watts

1750 RPM = 290 watts

2250 RPM = 532 Watts

3400 RPM = 1750 Watts

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
that's fascinating. i have no mechanical eng background whatsoever but would have assumed that any motor would need some rest and shouldnt be run forever. i guess common sense sometimes doesnt make any sense! thx for sharing your experience on this

Mostly,

Just for grins, I went out wrapped my hands around my 3 HP IntelliFlo pump that has been constantly running for about 7 years.. It is almost cold.. If it were a single speed pump, it would have most likely burned the skin off of my fingers.. :mrgreen:

VS pumps are just build different..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.