LWR_CCW

Aug 24, 2022
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 15
Hi. I recently had my 19 year old pool resurfaced by a leading pool construction/renovation company in my area. As part of the renovation, the sales person sold me on retiring the floor popup system because it has had some past problems and because my pool is completely caged and doesn't get much debris in it. When they removed the popup system module, they also eliminated 10 floor popups (filled them with hydraulic cement) and converted 4 of the floor popups into simple floor return outlets. The return fittings in the floor are now threaded and accept what I assume is a 1.5" MIP threaded fixture. They installed the wrong threaded fixture (missing the eyeball) (see picture) which they will be replacing with a flush mounted fixed eyeball fixture similar to the one pictured.

However, I am concerned because these are four floor return fixtures and like the one pictured they have an open hole which seems potentially hazardous for a floor return (I know the risk of this is very low however). The pool company told me this is a standard fixture for a floor return these days since it blows water out, But of course that's only when the pump is running.

As an alternative, I've been searching pool supply companies for a round 1.5" MIP screw in (threaded) flush mounted grate/plate (gray color) with small holes in the plate that would protect fingers and toes but would still allow plenty of water to be forced out for the return. Or I've been searching for a screw in gray color popup but all popups seem to have a different installation approach via a bayonet mount versus the threaded 1.5" MIP. To me, it seems the pool company installed a fixture intended for a wall, but they are putting it on the floor.

1) Am I worrying needlessly about the open hole in the floor return fixture?
2) Do you know any parts like I mention above? A 1.5" MIP threaded flush mount round grate OR a 1.5" MIP threaded return popup?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Floor Supply Fixture.jpg
    Floor Supply Fixture.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Hi. I recently had my 19 year old pool resurfaced by a leading pool construction/renovation company in my area. As part of the renovation, the sales person sold me on retiring the floor popup system because it has had some past problems and because my pool is completely caged and doesn't get much debris in it. When they removed the popup system module, they also eliminated 10 floor popups (filled them with hydraulic cement) and converted 4 of the floor popups into simple floor return outlets. The return fittings in the floor are now threaded and accept what I assume is a 1.5" MIP threaded fixture. They installed the wrong threaded fixture (missing the eyeball) (see picture) which they will be replacing with a flush mounted fixed eyeball fixture similar to the one pictured.

However, I am concerned because these are four floor return fixtures and like the one pictured they have an open hole which seems potentially hazardous for a floor return (I know the risk of this is very low however). The pool company told me this is a standard fixture for a floor return these days since it blows water out, But of course that's only when the pump is running.

As an alternative, I've been searching pool supply companies for a round 1.5" MIP screw in (threaded) flush mounted grate/plate (gray color) with small holes in the plate that would protect fingers and toes but would still allow plenty of water to be forced out for the return. Or I've been searching for a screw in gray color popup but all popups seem to have a different installation approach via a bayonet mount versus the threaded 1.5" MIP. To me, it seems the pool company installed a fixture intended for a wall, but they are putting it on the floor.

1) Am I worrying needlessly about the open hole in the floor return fixture?
2) Do you know any parts like I mention above? A 1.5" MIP threaded flush mount round grate OR a 1.5" MIP threaded return popup?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Unfortunately, that is not a floor return. This is:
1661385534710.png

@1poolman1 -- thank you for your reply. The problem with the item you showed is that it isn't male threaded 1.5" to fit into the threaded return pipe at the bottom of my pool that my pool renovation company installed.

I found these that seem like they would work (see links below). Some of the amazon commenters said they did the same thing as my idea with these (on both their pool shelf and their pool bottom). Thoughts on these?

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Molded-Products-25503-001-000-Bubbler/dp/B00HEAW6XS/ref=sr_1_1
Amazon.com : CMP Pack of 2 25503-001-000 Pool Bubbler 1-1/2-Inch Grey : Patio, Lawn & Garden

This one says the holes are 0.68 square inches each for a total of 6.15 square inches total. Each hole is a little less than a quarter inch which is plenty small to not have fingers and toes get caught. This actually has more total opening for water flow that what is in there now as an open single hole
25503-000-000 Pool Bubbler - 1.5 Inch Threads MIP - White

Might try this:
You definitely do not want an open hole in the bottom of the pool where a toe can get stuck.

Might try this:
You definitely do not want an open hole in the bottom of the pool where a toe can get stuck.
Hi @1poolman1 . Thank you so much for all your help and advice. The problem I think I have with the part you sent info about above from Ebay is that it doesn't have a 1.5" male threaded insert to go into the female threaded receptacle cemented into the bottom of my pool. That's why I thought this 1.5" threaded bubbler with 9 tiny less than quarter inch holes would work. The 9 holes together are 6.15 square inches in opening area so there should be plenty of water flow out of them (actually more opening square inches than the wrong fixture the pool company put on there now. This bubbler would be about 3 feet down in the shallow end of my pool and about 5.5 feet down in the deep end. What do you think of this solution? Would it work?

Attachments

• 51Q1W-LfI5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    51Q1W-LfI5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: 1poolman1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.