Removing trowel marks on new pool plaster

AMH1

Apr 1, 2021
Texas
Hello,
As some of you may have read my previous post, I recently re-plastered my pool (Plaster+quartz) and had a lot of imperfections, uneven area at the bottom of the pool with the lights on at night. I bought a pole sander and 320-400 grit wet sand paper from Lowes and was able to get it looking %70-80 better than what it was, but I still have some stubborn trowel marks around my hot tub that I can't smooth out. I was going to go up on the sandpaper grit to 220 and see if I can get it a bit more smoother, just wondering if anyone tried sanding with 220 grit with water in the pool and if you think it is Ok and won't harm plaster? My plaster is about 2 months old now. I realize it may take a while , but even I could do an hour or so each day I don't mind, as long as I can make it smoother.

Thanks to all.....for your advice!

IMG_5942.jpg

Last edited:
Should not be a problem. Get to work and let us know how it turns out.

Even try 80/100 grit sandpaper.

Thanks for the reply.....we have freezing cold tempreature for the next few days. I will get some 220 or maybe even higher wet sand paper on a pole sander and try to wet sand the area to with water in the pool to see if I can make it smoother or just a bit less obvious when I turn the light on!

Oh wow....great Idea. I hear the diamond dust pads last longer than sand paper!! The only issue is I am not sure how to connect them to a pole sander I bought from Lowes. With sand paper, I just wrap it on my pole sander and extend the pole down in the water and start scrubbing lightly to make sure I don't harm the plaster.

Attachments

• Sander.jpg
    Sander.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 5
Oh wow....great Idea. I hear the diamond dust pads last longer than sand paper!! The only issue is I am not sure how to connect them to a pole sander I bought from Lowes. With sand paper, I just wrap it on my pole sander and extend the pole down in the water and start scrubbing lightly to make sure I don't harm the plaster.
Be aware that if you remove too much, you'll take off the "cream coat," the part that makes the plaster smooth. You could get into the aggregate/sand/marcite/whatever and end up with a surface of an 80-100 grit sandpaper. Go slow.

Oh, I have been sanding the bottom of the pool using 320-400grit wet sand paper for about a week with pool full of water, but water is too cold to get in the pool to feel the smoothness. I did not know anything about the Cream of Plaster!! I hope I did not make it too rough!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.