Removing the diving board (new homeowners insurance company) - light electrical box??

threecheese

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
Long Island, NY
Hi,

Our new insurance carrier has some rules for diving boards that our existing IG pool just can't meet, so we have to yank it, AND remove the supports ("trip hazard"), or lose coverage.
My question is about this electrical box that is between the supports - it has to be for the pool light, which is just below the diving board, but I have no idea what I need it for and just what the heck I am going to do with it, since it will be a trip hazard.

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 1.52.21 PM.jpg

Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know how far down those supports go? Should I just hit em with the angle grinder and fill the holes in with cement?

Thanks!

The junction box is for the light. Moving it would be a major undertaking, and lowering it would be a code violation. I'd try building some kind of planter or bench to cover the whole works

I would be tempted to dig the ground up a little near the diving board as the j-box is not all that far from the edge of concrete, maybe a foot or so away. The electrical conduit might actually be accessible in which can the j-box could be reallocated to an area away from the pool. The j-box is code but the code usually specifies how close to the water's edge the j-box is allowed and it looks to be right up to that limit. So moving it away form the pool should, in theory, be just fine according to electrical pool code. However, I defer such questions to our two venerable NEC-680 Pool Code experts.

Planter boxes, benches, etc are all good ideas too though I would wonder if your insurance company would accept that given the proximity to the pool edge and their apparent fussiness over the previous diving board. As a side note, I find it interesting how completely different insurance company rules are. When we asked our insurance company about our pool thinking our rates would jump up, our agent just shrugged it off and was like, "Whatever....doesn't really matter if you have a pool or not as long as the pool was approved by the county and built to code..." and our rates did not change at all.

I would be tempted to dig the ground up a little near the diving board as the j-box is not all that far from the edge of concrete, maybe a foot or so away. The electrical conduit might actually be accessible in which can the j-box could be reallocated to an area away from the pool. The j-box is code but the code usually specifies how close to the water's edge the j-box is allowed and it looks to be right up to that limit. So moving it away form the pool should, in theory, be just fine according to electrical pool code. However, I defer such questions to our two venerable NEC-680 Pool Code experts.

Planter boxes, benches, etc are all good ideas too though I would wonder if your insurance company would accept that given the proximity to the pool edge and their apparent fussiness over the previous diving board. As a side note, I find it interesting how completely different insurance company rules are. When we asked our insurance company about our pool thinking our rates would jump up, our agent just shrugged it off and was like, "Whatever....doesn't really matter if you have a pool or not as long as the pool was approved by the county and built to code..." and our rates did not change at all.

Some of the rules:

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 2.47.25 PM.jpg

Moving the j box would be neither fun nor easy. That conduit is full of water and will drain the pool.

The difference in insurance is attrutable to location. NY has comparatively few pools. Arizona has thousands and thousands. In AZ the risk of a pool and diving board is part of the normal risk of a single family home. In NY it's not.

Three cheeses, have you considered changing insurance companies? I'm very fond of my diving board, personally, and would not remove it for love nor money. I am in Michigan, and did not have any trouble insuring this place, WITH diving board.
We do also carry an umbrella policy for extended liability coverage, which is generally a good idea for pool owners.

If you don't care either way or don't like the diving board, then carry on, but if you like it, its worth checking with other companies.

We ran into the same issue. We had a little more room to work with on the concrete than you, but we built a table to hold an umbrella over the electrical box and screw posts and put a chair on either side of it. I will try and post some images.

- - - Updated - - -

07A5688F-B588-4FFB-91CD-94B30490AD22.jpg

526BC1D6-ACA3-4274-AE5A-717EB64A8DB4.jpg

I really like that umbrella holder table idea. I would use treated wood if creating one. Then add some decking (pavers) behind it to walk around it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like that idea with the table. I don't have an issue with insurance but I have a diving board that is a death trap. My deep end is so narrow it amazes me over the years one of the kids has not face planted on the deck diving off of it. I was planning to get it removed this year. I may use this idea.

Jodie-Hey there Neighbor! Great idea on how to disguise the outlet.

For the OP, any chance you are eligible for USAA homeowners insurance? They didn't care if we had a diving board or not. So perhaps shopping around would solve this dilemma.

Yippee :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.