Removing Stubborn Pool Scale

AidanDanner

Mar 9, 2021
Los Angeles
Hello! I just got great advice in the "Pumps, Filters, and Plumbing" forum, helping me perform my very first pool repair on my very own, so I thought I'd come back for seconds.

We've had our pool for about four years, and before I took ownership of its maintenance (guided by the all the wisdom to be found here on TFP), the water chemistry was all over the place (due to unreliable and unprofessional cleaning services). During that time, there was a build-up of scale on the tile along the water line and beside the waterfall features.

The water's been 100% balanced for over a year now, and so I figured it's time for me to do some cleaning.

I got some 5% vinegar, bought a brush for my cordless drill, and I went to work. The result? Nothing. Zilch. Absolutely zero progress. I drained my drill's battery and made no noticeable dent in the scale build-up.

I've read that using a solution of muriatic acid might work, but I'm really worried about damaging the tile grout with that. The scale is so baked-on, so stubborn, it feels like the concentration of muriatic acid that would be needed would also do a number on the grout?

Attached is a pic of the scale along one of the waterfall features.

Any advice as to effective an effective methodology and/or cleaning product?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20230701_113151.jpg
    20230701_113151.jpg
    724.8 KB · Views: 19
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.