Removing Drain Plug From Pentair CCP520 Filter

Jun 16, 2014
Phoenix AZ
I have a Pentair CCP520 Filter and am having trouble removing the drain plug on the bottom.

A couple of questions:

1. It has a plastic hex head. What is the best tool and way to unscrew it? I tried using an adjustable wrench and it keeps slipping and starting to damage the hex head.

2. What direction do I turn to unscrew the plug? (I am thinking it should be counter-clockwise if you were to look up from the bottom. But that would mean clockwise when looking down from the top.)

Thanks.

Best tool is a 6 point socket. But very few people own one that big. What you'll probably end up using is a pair of channel-locks or a pipe wrench. They both dig into the plastic and grip tighter the harder you turn.

You are correct about directions.

Before you go to town on it, it might be prudent to have a replacement seal (if not a whole new drain plug) standing by.

It isn't as fragile as it appears to be when you first try to take it off. Mine has held up to a fair amount of abuse since 2012. I use a fairly big pair of channel locks with a pretty big face and adjust them so you can give them a pretty tight squeeze. It won't look pretty after a few years but I've never had any trouble removing it or tightening it back up.

Just make sure not to cross thread when reinstalling. It is easy to do and it will cut new threads into the plug. And dont lose the o-ring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.