Remove old plaster before renovation

aztec123

Gold Supporter
Jun 8, 2015
Dobbs Ferry, NY
Last year I obtained three quotes for pool renovation, specifically to fix failing plaster, replace and/or reset coping, and replace tile around waterline. I ultimately did not proceed, and put it off until this year. I am back at it, and am going to expand the project to include renovating portions of the deck, new skimmers, etc. Working on an RFP right now – this site has been helpful.

One source of confusion is that in none of the three quotes from last year did anyone suggest the possibility of chipping out the old plaster. They all referenced chipping it out only around fixtures, or where there were visible cracks. Otherwise they all said the majority of the pool surface would be “etched” and a bonding agent would be used to affix the new plaster/finish.

I asked if it would be an option to have the old plaster chipped out, and they were not very responsive – it was like if that was what I wanted, I would have to bring someone else in to do it. Is this normal behavior for PBs? I realize it is more work, but expected it to be mentioned as an (at additional cost) item.

Am I wrong in thinking that chipping out the old plaster is the more “right” way to do this, if I am concerned about longevity of the new surface? Is the lack of enthusiasm around this option typical?

Thanks

az,

I think it is a very regional thing.. Where I live, I have never seen them chip out all the old plaster, but from the pics I have seen here, it is almost always done in California..

I suspect it costs a lot more, but have no idea if it is worth it or not... I have had two pools re-plastered without the original plaster being totally removed and they seem fine to me. On the other hand, it has been less than 5 years ago, so no telling about any really long term issues..

Let's see what some of our other members have to say...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I don't think the PB's in the NY Metro area have the crew to do chip outs nor do they find them very profitable.

I had my pool replastered last year. The PB crew came in and in 2 days drained the pool, cleaned the walls, repaired some areas of the gunite, chipped out around the returns and pool edges, and put a bonding coat on the old plaster. Then a weeks or so later when the weather was cooperative the plaster subcontractor came in and did all the heavy lifting of tile work, and plaster in 3 days. Then 4 water trucks filled the pool as soon as the plaster was complete.

Focus on reputation and warranty and not price. There are many problems with plaster finishes, especially if you get a dark quartz finish. There are many posting here of problems, including mine. Replastering a Pool - A 1 Year Saga - Problems Lessons Learned

Two of my friends locally here had their pools redone and had plaster problems and the PB did not stand behind the work and fix the problems. It is easy for a PB to wiggle out saying your PH was too high or you didn't brush the pool enough. My PB was the lowest price and the best reputation and stood by the problems and worked with me until they were fixed. It may have helped that the PB built the pool in 2000.

If you are expecting a warranty from the plaster manufacture ensure that the PB registers your job with the plaster manufacture and you get the proper warranty paperwork. Otherwise you just have the PB's word as warranty.

I wish you luck and hope you have an uneventful project. But line yourself up with a reputable PB who will work with you if things don't go according to plan. The plaster work will be done by a subcontractor who you have no direct recourse with.

My 30-year-old plaster was worn down to gunite in spots. Removing it didn’t seem optional. I was glad to get it replaced and not have to worry about it for the next 20+ years.

In this process, it ain’t “chipping.” It’s jackhammering!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.