Remodeling 1988 Freeform Pool in DFW - Two Years Later

Kpag

Silver Supporter
Feb 17, 2015
Dallas TX
Well, it is F*I*N*A*L*L*Y happening. We are remodeling our pool (two years after we started looking at it): new coping, waterline tile and pebblesheen. We are also adding benches and changing the spillway a bit (raising and narrowing it). We aren't using any seat or step marker tile and will have glass on the spa wall. All the coping will be Leuders buff limestone with an eased edge, NPT arctic lagoon 1x2 glass tile for the waterline and spa wall and french gray pebble sheen. We have already replaced our equipment. I will add pictures next.

Here are some recent pictures FROM LAST YEAR with new fence and choices. BTW, we still love our boxed in fence posts (we are on a corner lot so we have the nice side out and the boxed posts inside ... best of both worlds). Sorry for how dirty the pool was, yikes! We have changed our minds, naturally (except for the waterline tile).
2nvb79.jpg

33uczdt.jpg

2nhkkdw.jpg

These are the current choices. CURRENT/NEW CHOICES (Leuders buff limestone coping, eased edge, NPT Arctic Ice Lagoon 1x2 glass tile and French Grey Pebblesheen).
2aficd2.jpg

And this is where the benches are being added.
qq7tom.jpg

LOVE the color picks! That tile will be SO pretty!!!

Those benches will be a nice touch in the pool.

With glass tile you need to think about the color of the mortar used under them as that will really influence their final color.

Kim:kim:

Thanks, Kim. Is the mortar underneath the same thing as the Laticrete? Isn't that just white? Pic of steel in place for benches. Oh, and we are adding umbrella sleeves on the new benches.
t70jy9.jpg

We want a grout color that ties in with the buff coping so probably one of these shown in this link? Prime Photos

The more benches the better. The wife wished we added another bench in the deep end of our Spool aka Social Pool:cheers:

There are different colors. Put your pretty tile on a white paper towel and on something light gray (pants?) and see what a difference that makes. Talk to your PB.

I like both grouts. Again I would lay it out and see which one works the best outside.

BLING!!! to the max! Love it! HAHA Will! Someone other that me spent your money!

Here is a set of links I put together for new pool owners or new to TFP:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Here is a link to the test kit I think is the best bang for the buck:

TFTestkits.net

Okay you got what you wanted..............where is what I want??? MORE PICTURES!!!!

Oh wait! Did you know if you become a supporting member you will get a discount of the test it AND be able to store and link to the pictures in our photo gallery?? It also helps us keep the lights on!

I joined to get the discount and ordered the test kit. We have lived with a pool for over 10 years, but I really (on purpose) don't know much about our pool. It's so much better when it's my husband's problem, tee hee. But I do want to keep our "new and improved" pool in tiptop shape so I will try to learn more about testing, blah blah blah. The French Gray PebbleSheen Pebble Sheen is in (and we confirmed there were many bags of Shimmering Seas added). Acid wash tomorrow. Oh, and this is the NPT Arctic Lagoon 1x2 Lagoon tile with gray thinset. I believe most of the pools on here using this tile used white thinset which creates a brighter blue look. IMG_3899.jpgIMG_3900.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OMG!!! That looks wonderful! What a huge difference from the former pool! I can't wait to see the water in the 'NEW' pool. I love your choices. The coping gives such a clean and modern look. I've long been a fan of the NPT Artic Lagoon glass tiles. I think somewhere, someone referred to it as the TFP tile since so many members have used it. There's a reason for that - it's gorgeous. The gray thinset does give it a different look - I love that, too. Seeing yours now, I would never be able to choose between the white and the gray. I think what you chose is perfect for your deck and house. I strongly considered using the French Grey Sheen - really looking forward to seeing it with water here on TFP.

More, more pictures, please! Get that pool filled!
Suz

These links to photos are for anyone considering the NPT Arctic tile in Lagoon. We used the 1x2 mini-subway with gray thinset and grayish grout and French Gray PebbleSheen with Shimmering Seas added. This link shows the tile laying on a white foam background and then next to our finished spillway. And on the uninstalled tile, you are looking at the BACK of the tile as it comes with the front mounted on plastic. Hopefully it will help with your decision (how hard is it to pick something without seeing it done?!?!). I think you have to click the videos twice to get them to play, once to open and once to play......click link to open...... Prime Photos

And here is a link to our pool filled with water but pump not running (after torrential rain/storms last night--->bugs and debris in pool, �� ) and no chemicals (except for some sort of "de-scale" thing added). They are coming tomorrow to start everything up. A little cloudy when I took these, and I think you have to doubleclick the videos to get them to play. ..........Prime Photos

Kpag, since you are a supporting member you can upload the pics to our new photo gallery and then just click on them to show on in the posts. Not sure about videos though. I will have to ask about that one.

My O.L.D. lap top could not open the pics :( I will try when I can get to a "real" computer.

Did you use travertine coping? If so are you happy with it? How is it for slippiness. We're just beginning demo and remodel of a 1978 pool. Our pool guy is recommending travertine since we need a thin coping.
Btw your pool is gorgeous and I really wish I was at your stage.
Thanks

Brentr, we are excited for the benches. It was a last minute addition so hopefully we will feel it was worth it because it was $$$. We figured our little pool is just so basic and boring and needed something extra. We decided against also adding a sunshelf because our pool is pretty small, seemed like it would take up too much of it.

Big Will, we are totally in love with this tile. They do have it in different colors too. Lots of pools here have used it if you want to search up some other builds and look at it with white thinset and white or blue grout, which really changes the look.

Kim, I am going to go through all those links right now to see if I can use any of the stuff we already have to run some tests. My "official" test kit isn't here yet --- WHY oh WHY didn't I order it sooner than Monday?!?!? What was I waiting for :(. I raided hubby's pool drawer and this is the stuff we have here now. 115FD00A-136E-4F2D-9F6C-040A842130B6.jpg

Ukalison, we used buff limestone coping with an eased edge. It isn't slippery at all. We looked at (and I tested) travertine coping before; it was our first choice. It isn't slippery at all AS LONG AS it is tumbled not honed/filled.

Here are some more pics of the pool today. Pump/chemicals/etc started up yesterday. Still need coping/deck cleaning, mastic and a few other things. Water still seems a tiny bit green? My husband hasn't seen it yet; he's been gone all week. Water temp 68. 864A78F7-89D5-4A4B-ACAD-435A1AF7F768.jpg
E6293303-D026-4964-A2C8-421F6520A93D.jpg
4B11C34A-0C96-4676-AAA9-0A92995AA46C.jpg
23406906-6908-498A-A2A2-0284235B8A77.jpg

Since it is a new fill this will be easy! You have an okay test for right now already.

-You will NOT have any CYA-that has to be added. Use pool math (link in my siggy) to find out how much you will need to get your CYA to 30 (we will tweak from there as needed)

-PH-Test it and adjust as needed

TA-same

FC-same

Use the links I gave you to find the charts with the levels.

Ask ANY questions! Test and tell us what you have and what you THINK you need to do to make sure it is correct!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.