Remodel: switching automatic pool cover from under-coping to encapsulated track

OliviaT

Sep 9, 2021
Santa Rosa, CA
In remodeling our 15x50' pool, we're adding a spillway from the new spa on the middle of the long side. The design necessitates switching our pool cover track from being mounted under the coping to an encapsulated track. (Our old track didn't stay in old our coping very well, so this has seemed like a good thing.) This means though that the track will be a littler further away from the cover on each side (~2"?). Our current cover is <3 years old and in good shape. We had originally planned with our PB on reusing it, with adapters or longer arms on the ends to reach the new track. But, that was either too long ago to remember or something has changed and they now think we need a whole new cover.

Has anyone had success switching track mount locations without getting a new cover? Any pointers on where to look or what might work? Or, is this a bad idea and we should bite the bullet on a new cover? (The surface area to cover isn't changing. Only the track location.) If we do have to get something new, are there any better options to look at besides the standard coverstar/fabric auto covers? Thanks for any suggestions!

For fun (unrelated to this question), here are 2 pics from the construction in progress. There are A LOT of pipes now.

Attachments

• IMG_8245.jpg
    IMG_8245.jpg
    762.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_8295.jpg
    IMG_8295.jpg
    724.5 KB · Views: 76
I dislike on-deck automatic covers. They really detract from the visuals/ambience. I would lose the cover altogether if that was the only option.

Your landscape ambiance is amazing. I don’t know much about cover tracks but I did find a build thread I really wished I’d seen prior for the info (found at least two of those builds here after our pool was finished) and I remember they had a cover track and a waterfall.

Reactions: OliviaT
After a long conversation with the guys who installed our original cover, it seems new need at least mostly new parts. Even though the pool opening is the same size, the extra couple of inches between the tracks means we need a new leading edge bar, fabric, and drum that it rolls around. I have also found a few slat cover systems (like HydraLux) but such limited use of them in the US that I've been warned away from being an early adopter here.

The Hydralux models are very slick looking, but they can definitely be tricky. They work from a submerged box, so it would more than likely require a redesign of your pool where the existing cover box is. Most likely quite a bit more expensive the the new leading edge, roll bar, and fabric.

The Hydralux models are very slick looking, but they can definitely be tricky. They work from a submerged box, so it would more than likely require a redesign of your pool where the existing cover box is. Most likely quite a bit more expensive the the new leading edge, roll bar, and fabric.
Have you ever seen one installed? Do they support any weight on top? (They’re marketed as “not a safety cover” but if my dog runs across, will it do damage?) They do seem to have an install method with a vault at one end of the pool, but not sure if the vault needs to be significant if larger to house the panels?

I've seen one installed on a fiberglass pool. I don't have a good answer about the load bearing, definitely not a safety cover and won't support a person, not sure about a dog. The vault is definitely bigger, the slats are probably 1/4" to 1/2" thick so needs more room than a traditional cover. The one I've seen was installed on a Leisure Pools Cube, and takes up more space than a traditional 40' autocover when rolled up. Your pool is pretty long, so it would definitely take up a bit of space. They can also be installed on the floor of a pool as well, to cover odd shaped pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.