Refurb 2005 pool outside of Dallas, plaster, tile, New LEDs, new sheers.

Still waiting for tile to be finished so we can get to plaster and AB

this seems to take WAY longer than it needs. We did have trouble finding matching Travertine but that only explains a few days of the delays

Still impatiently waiting on the PB

for the 3rd week in a row hope to have the Aquabright done "this week."

Plaster was done yesterday. Today they "prepped " for AB, they reacid washed, to prep the surface, remove the "creme" and give the epoxy and the AB something to stick to. They also taped off the stuff that doesn't want to get melted by the flame.
Epoxy was supposed to go on today but water was weeping into the pool from an edge ... more delays

Yesterday we nearly covered the bottom of the pool to the shallow end, to protect the plaster and keep the pool from "floating" just to have it pumped out today. Today, they didnt bring the right wrench to open the plug at the bottom drain, so we are refilling the pool again, wasting thousands of gallons of water.

Here is an update image or 2
yellow image is during acid wash and the second one is after

ch05_20170502_115205_E.jpgch05_20170502_170030_E.jpg

The hope is that they will Epoxy tomorrow and AB the next day ? Maybe ?
At this point I just want it DONE ...
Stop the madness.

PB actually said yesterday that he was happy his guys didnt kill my palms ...
They look a little rough from the Freeze this winter but I never dreamed that killing the palms was a possibility ...

:shock: kill the palms?? That should not have been even a possibility! Now I would worry about the heat doing a number on them but how in the world would they even have a chance of killing them building the pool? Oh well at least they are still standing!

Kim:kim:

They did a TON of work on the wall in front of the palms
And they did some work running new electrical to the LED sheers ...

Im guessing thats what they meant ..

Late last night I received a text from the PB that he hasnt yet figured out how much extra the wall work is going to cost.
I wasnt aware that the wall work was going to be "extra" and if it were I would have expected to know that BEFORE the work was done...
This is going to be interesting

Does your contract include the wall work?

It included replacing the sheers in the wall.

They claimed the wall fell apart as they took out the old sheers.
The original plan was to reuse the travertine that came off. Then they realized after the fact that the old sheers were cut to match the curve of the wall but the LED sheers cant be cut.

Which meant that they needed wider travertine to cover the now straight sheers in a curved wall....
Their failure to see and understand the difference in the sheers is on them in my opinion.

Again, I had no say in this, and no indication that it wasn't in the initial bid....
And the bid was IMO high enough to cover these kinds of discoveries.

On another topic, the spa overflow was tiled to extend past the edge. We asked if the extension would be likley to break off. They assured us it wouldn't. The plaster guys broke one of those tiles. Apparently fixing that is going to cost more too...

Hi,

I hope this isnt rude but what sort of price range are you in? I need to do a reno in NY on a plaster pool & the pricing i am getting is close to 20K for white & relatively basic tile.

Just curious what the general ballpark is.

Thanks,
Rich

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ah the joys of dealing with pool builders. At least you are in what I would imagine is a competitive market and can shop around and demand more because there are most likely a number of contractors around. There are only two (and realistically probably one) contractors within a two hour radius of my house so my pickings were slim. I first contacted my pool builder last summer and we have been doing or renovation since November with a few hours of work here and there. I finally took over portions of the job I could do myself and actually got better subs and better quality work than he was providing. We will hopefully be finished in a few weeks (fingers crossed).

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

I hope this isnt rude but what sort of price range are you in? I need to do a reno in NY on a plaster pool & the pricing i am getting is close to 20K for white & relatively basic tile.

Thanks,
Rich

Kimkats is right. Price varies dramatically by region. The nearest plasterer to me is four hours away. The next closest is eight hours away. Thus, the cost of my plaster job alone is likely as much as someone in Florida to get a new pool.

Hi,

Thanks,
Rich

Take the diameter of the pool and thats what builders use to start the calculations
In Dallas depending on how much tile you have, assuming normal amount for a 100 ft diameter pool or less you could find a basic white plaster for under $12K ish
Thats based on the quotes I got and my wild guess what basic plaster costs.

The plaster portion of the AB finish was listed as about 4k on my job. Not including prep work the actual plaster group was here less than 2.5 hours from start to gone...

And apparently very few plasterers do plain white any more ...

More flame thrower
IMG_20170506_172124.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oops on the plaster prep work ...
And supervision

More delays

Attachments

• IMG_20170506_163251.jpg
    IMG_20170506_163251.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 413

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.