Reducing pool temps, has anyone tried this?

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all.

The temps in Tx are stifling, so much that 94 degree pool water is not very refreshing. Has anyone ever put some type of dark material over entire pool so UV/sun cannot directly heat water? If ambient air is 100-103 during days & 82-84 at night, would those temps still prevent pool water temps from dropping enough? My goal is low 80’s..80-83….

It’s so hot & dry that lizzards are drinking pool water.. i hope anyone else that’s cooking too can obtain some relief from clouds & rains.

Best to all and thank you,
tstex

I was concerned about my pool water getting too hot so at the beginning of July I started using my aerator whenever the pump is running along with raising my umbrella that is over my in-water seating area. Our high temps were 105-115 for several weeks (with many days above 110) and lows in the upper 80's and my pool water in the morning is 82-83. It's 85 in the evening.

My neighbor's white plaster pool is uncovered with no aeration and 4-5 degrees warmer than my darker Pebble pool. I'm thinking shade and evaporation make a measurable difference. If my pool got into the 90's, I'd install a big sail shade for sure!

You could look at installing a Glacier pool chiller? They work on the principal of evaporative cooling, no compressors or anything, just a big fan to run. They use up water so your fill costs might go up a bit. But they can definitely get you back to a cooler water temp.

Mine doesn't like the cold, so I'm gonna need a drinking buddy up there if you're interested.
New Dude

What part of Canada? Since you live in NY (not sure how far from “The City” aka NY NY, if your wife likes to shop, mine and yours will fit together well. while we’re on the porch of the cabin w WB Stove and libations, they can hit Bloomingdale’s. All of my daughters can go too!

Matt, thanks for the info. Any specific make & model you have in mind? Have you or a nearby nbor used one? My brother lives in Chandler so I know the drill on your heat. Glad to see you snd NM are getting some nice rains!

Reactions: Newdude
I’ve only ever seen people use the Glacier brand pool chiller -

You could search on the forum to see if anyone has any experience.

We don’t really need water chillers here believe it or not. It’s so dry with such a low dew point temperature most days that the pool cools off all on its own overnight. It might hit the high 80’s, maybe 90F, by the end of the day. But overnight it will lose a lot of heat (and add a lot of fill water) such that it will be back down in the low 80’s by sunrise.

You might try running some kind of simple fountain overnight to see if you can get some additional cooling. A submersible pump with a PVC fountain spray could buy you some cooling on the cheap …

1659057658696.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bc of the drought, we have been on voluntary water restrictions which we have not volunteered too much. Our evap rate, w both heat & winds is off the charts. We used over 80,000 gal last month, mainly on irrigation & pool filling. Cost was $678; this month will be much worse. Anything that causes add’l evaporation I’m reluctant to engage at this point, but thank you for suggestions.

The reasoning w the pool type cover was twofold: to reduce direct UV heating, and reduce evap rate too.

Thanks again

Reactions: Newdude
In our area, same as you, nothing passive is going to get you to those low numbers. At best, you might see a degree or two lower. Shading with umbrellas, I reduce the radiant heat factor, like the difference between standing on hot concrete v. shaded. Swimming with the sun lower in sky, afternoon breeze kicking in, and shaded water, I get told the water is "chilly" but it is at 92.

We used over 80,000 gal last month, mainly on irrigation & pool filling....Anything that causes add’l evaporation I’m reluctant to engage at this point...
Just as an FYI...

I'm located in the Phoenix area. Very high temps with very low humidity = maximum evaporation.

I've had my aerator running 16 hours a day to help cool the water. I'm not sure how much it helps cool the water but I suspect it increase evaporation slightly.

I have a water flow meter connected to my auto fill and I've averaged 74 gallons of evaporation per day so far in July. That's about 2,200 gallons per month.

I have had good luck with these. They are a bit pricy for just being plastic, but install easy and have a finer mist for more evaporative cooling than the one I bought at pinch a penny.

Its been keeping my pool enjoyable. Typically in the mornings the water is down to 84 degrees and is back up to 87 or 88 during the heat of the day. These temps are much more pleasant than the 91-92 degrees I had previously.

Edit, link is below:

As for covers, the net effect of umbrellas/sails is that under the shade of them the 92 degree water feels much cooler on your 98 degree body, so the feel is much cooler than without. I can't see anything in the way of covers that will lower the water temp enough that full sun swimming after removal will have any net effect in feel. Not this time of year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.