RedStick's Pool Chemical Starting Thread!

Aug 6, 2016
Spring, Texas
Hello folks!Our pool maintenance has officially been turned over to me, so here I go.I've had my TF-100 kit for a couple of weeks and have been testing during the 30 days that the pool company was managing the water. I would probably have done a few things differently given the knowledge found here, but this was my pool company's deal, so I wasn't going to stand in the way I guess.At any rate, here are my numbers from a fresh round of tests this Texas cool, crisp morning:

Pool Temp: 66
Air Temp: 49, not a cloud in the sky
FC: 4
CC: 0
PH: 7.8
TA: 80
CH: 325
CYA: 20
CL: 3
TC: 4

I think I've got everything tested. My CYA hasn't been above 20 in the 30 days. Mostly it was listed as zero as I could always see the dot at the bottom of the test tube.My pool is still set up to use the pucks, but I'm about ready to make the switch.Where do you recommend I go from here?Thanks so much!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know why the post combined in to one paragraph. My apologies.

Mod note: you can edit your post by clicking the edit post button below the text box. I edited yours to add the returns. pooldv

What are you switching to? Bleach?

Most important is to preserve your warranty with Pebbletec
Pool Care Instructions Pebble Tec

And be sure to register your pool warranty here, they will send you more docs
Product Registration Pebble Tec

PH management is the most important aspect of starting up a plaster pool to prevent etching and scaling. It is very important to maintain PH between 7.5 and 7.8 at all times, when it gets to 8.0 lower it back to 7.6. Let it stay at 7.8 if it wants to. Allowing your TA to drop as low as 60 will help to reduce pH rise. Adding acid to lower your PH will slowly lower your TA over time. Avoiding running waterfalls, bubblers, etc will also reduce pH rise in your pool.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

Hi, pooldv. Thanks for correcting my post. I attempted to do that as well, but I didn't have the magic you have, apparently.Yes, I plan to switch to bleach soon. We followed the Pebble Tec instructions and I actually continue to brush the pool every other day or so as we are having other work done that is kicking up a lot of dust/dirt/etc.Thanks for the tips on the PH.

I finally decided today to make the change to the manual bleach chlorination method. I've been a testing fool trying to learn all about our pool and feel I've got it down now. As such, here are my current readings:
Pool Temp: 66
Air Temp: 64, not a cloud in the sky now but we had 1.81 inches of rain this morning. I've been on pool cleanup duty today.
FC: 4
CC: 0
PH: 7.8
TA: 100
CH: 275
CYA: 40

My CH bounces between 275 and 300, and my TA bounces between 90 and 100. Not all that often, but I've noticed the trend (but I test a lot).

I've had to lower my Ph one time already and it's gone back up slightly. I'll need to treat to lower that again soon I guess.

I plan to reduce the number of tests now and only concentrate on Chlorine and Ph daily, with the other tests performed weekly.

I just added my first Clorox dose. PoolMath indicated that I needed to add 63oz of 8.25 bleach, so in it went. I turned off my auto chlorinator and will have to fish out the pucks I guess.

Here's to a good run with the TroubleFree Pool Method!!!!

Thanks for the input that you guys deliver.

Glad to hear you're taking control of your pool and enjoying it. :) You're doing great with TFPC.

If you want to, you can let the last few pucks dissolve to get rid of them. CYA at 50 is a nice level. If taking them out, hold your breath :)

I did a lot of testing at first as well. After stopping pucks, you can slow down the CYA testing to monthly. In winter, all my testing was a bit more spread out. Your fluctuation on TA and CH is just normal testing variation and not a worry.

Here's a pool care schedule that I found helpful. Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Well done! I am glad to see you have a good handle on the tests. Nice job!

Needs has you covered with his advice (THANKS Needs!).

I know it is a ways off but keep a close eye on your water temps as we head towards Spring (not soon enough LOL). As the water warms up the FC demand will increase. This is where I get caught each year.....get lazy withe testing and dose and find some green in the pool :roll: At least I know what to do and have the tools to do it thanks to TFP!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, needsajet and kimkats. I purchased a couple of bottles of the Walmart Great Value 8.25% bleach for $2.94 per bottle this afternoon.

I'll figure out how much I'll need per week and plan accordingly as we have a Walmart fairly close by to grab some on a weekly/every other week basis if need be.

Kimkats, thanks for the tip on when we start to experience the heat. I appreciate everything.

I am lucky in that the Ace Hardware on the way home sells liquid chlorine (12%). I take the truck to work the days I need to refill my jugs. Back it up to the tank and they refill the jugs. I have 4 2.5 gal jugs. They offer the 5 gals ones but they are just too big for me to pickup and pour from without making a mess.

During the summer my 10 gals. of chlorine lasts me 12 days.

I've been researching like crazy and unfortunately we have only one place that is relatively convenient for me to purchase bulk bleach/liquid chlorine and that is the Napco Chemical company located here in Spring, TX.

I called and spoke with an employee there. They service several of our MUD districts out here, so their bleach is very fresh, comes in at 10%.

The downside is their hours aren't very kind to my work schedule. Living in Houston, my commute is a bear.

There would be no way for me to replenish the bleach through Napco every other week, however I could potentially go once a month and purchase 25 gallons or so.

Living in Texas, I have nowhere to store it "cool and dark". I realize that the shelf life is rather limited in that the bleach will degrade.

Could it potentially survive 30 or so days in the Texas heat, or is it not worth it?

There is a new pinch a penny located some 20 miles from my house that has much better hours. Maybe I should alternate!

Just typing out my thoughts.

I keep 3 to 4 weeks supply stacked in the garage in summer during swim season----not an issue. I just wouldn't try to keep a whole summers worth at a time!...(especially if it's over a month old by date code when you buy it)

I'll leave the door open to the garage to get a Texas summer breeze blowing in there. That should help ;).

Thanks!

I think I might set out to buy enough during the summer months to go 3 weeks and then supplement with some local bleach for a week.

That way I'm only visiting Napco on a monthly basis.

I've been wondering about this, so I used climate figures for The Woodlands, TX: Intellicast - The Woodlands Historic Weather Averages in Texas (77381)

(I used The Woodlands cause one source got mixed up between Big Spring and Spring)

And Chem Geek's summary from various sources (post #23 in this thread) Breakdown of bleach over time by storage temperature - Page 2

Your average temperature that would affect bleach stored in the shade for Jul and Aug worked out to 86, using the average low of 73 and the 13.2 correction factor from EffAvgTempAdder in his table at the bottom of the post.

So from Chem Geek's summary tables, after one month, 12.5% chlorinating liquid would degrade to 9.2%, and 8.25% bleach would degrade to 7.1%, confirming that your plan will work fine. :)

And I got a bonus. With all the advertising on the net these days, I couldn't resist buying a book called "How to Speak Texan in 30 minutes or Less" :)

You will find what works for you. Try this and try that and see what the best fit is. I ended up having to get another jog (I started with 3) and making room for it in my pool box. That way I was only going to pick up the chlorine every 12 days instead of 9. See I have to "borrow" the truck from my hubby. He does not care and I love to drive it but........it is the process of having to think about it and following through plus I LOVE to drive my mustang with the top down. 1st world problem for sure but........I like life to be easy and carefree away from work (Kindergarten teach :shock: where NOTHING is easy or carefree).

- - - Updated - - -

I've been wondering about this, so I used climate figures for The Woodlands, TX: Intellicast - The Woodlands Historic Weather Averages in Texas (77381)

(I used The Woodlands cause one source got mixed up between Big Spring and Spring)

And Chem Geek's summary from various sources (post #23 in this thread) Breakdown of bleach over time by storage temperature - Page 2

Your average temperature that would affect bleach stored in the shade for Jul and Aug worked out to 86, using the average low of 73 and the 13.2 correction factor from EffAvgTempAdder in his table at the bottom of the post.

So from Chem Geek's summary tables, after one month, 12.5% chlorinating liquid would degrade to 9.2%, and 8.25% bleach would degrade to 7.1%, confirming that your plan will work fine. :)

And I got a bonus. With all the advertising on the net these days, I couldn't resist buying a book called "How to Speak Texan in 30 minutes or Less" :)

Smart and funny! LOL Love it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.