Red "Low Salt" Light IC40

n8han7

May 21, 2021
Clever, MO
Curious if cold water (56 degrees) would cause the low salt light to stay red? Flow and Cell lights are green and salt level is 3600 via taylor test kit.
Based on research I've done here, it looks like the thermistor could be bad on the flow switch, but thought I would make sure before I replace it. Thanks!

Nate,

The colder the water the less accurate the IC40 is for determining the salt level.

The thermistor inside the flow switch assembly is supposed to compensate for this but it does not work well below 60 degrees.

The whole thing has an accuracy of +/- 600 ppm and the low salt light comes on at about 2800 ppm.

The problem may go away as the water temp comes up. It can't hurt to install a new flow switch and see what happens.

I never turn my cell back on until the water temp stays above 55 degrees in the morning.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Nate,

If the cell "thinks" the salt level is between 2600 and 2800, it will make chlorine at a reduced rate. (Low salt)

If the cell "thinks" the salt level is below 2600, then it will not make any chlorine at all. (Very low salt)

You can see what the cell thinks the salt level is if you have an EasyTouch...

If not, you can look at the cell's "Cell" light. The Cell light will be green when the cell is making chlorine. Keep in mind that SWCG's do not make chlorine all the time depending on the % of output. If the output is set to 50% then the cell light will be on for 2.5 minutes and then off for 2.5 minutes, etc.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.