Red and Green light blinking and red flow light on IC-40 (both intermittent)

I'd still call them and plead some sort of newbie excuse. It's a long shot, but might be worth 10 minutes of your time if you stumble on a generous tech. They've helped me out in similar ways when they didn't have to. They know those switches are weak, they've known for years. So ya never know.

Also, if you've purchased at one time a certain set of Pentair devices, it ups the warranty to three years. I don't know if they'd apply that to an SWG, but again, I think the techs have some discretion. I'm now remembering that's what they did for me. I hadn't purchased the exact right set of stuff, and not all at the same time, but when I explained how much Pentair stuff I actually had purchased, they honored a warranty they otherwise could have refused. Never hurts to ask...

No worries, as @Philo pointed out, swapping the switch is a good troubleshooting step if nothing else. If that wasn't it, you'll have an extra switch. How much are they? You could still call Pentair and plead your case, before you attempt to swap the switch. The way they get replaced involves cutting and splicing wires, so there's no disguising that you did it. Don't negate a possible warranty replacement with a DIY fix. Don't do the swap until Pentair gives you an official "no." You can always send it back or keep it for next time.

I found it for $106 from Pool Supply World. I confirmed with them that it was the genuine Pentair switch and they claimed it was. I will still see how far I can get with Pentair customer service like you said...can't hurt to try! I have all Pentair equipment as well.

Reactions: Dirk
$106? Yikes. I thought they were less. Duh, what was I thinking, this is Pentair we're talking about! Good luck with the fix, whatever it turns out to be.

Yep, I just googled "Pentair flow switch" and prices in the $50 range pop up (which is more in line with what I remember)...

I saw some in that price range, but those appeared to me to be aftermarket switches and not genuine Pentair but I could be wrong?. I called around to 3 local pool stores and was quoted $160 from the first, $249 from the second and $269 from the third...just for the part !

I just got off the phone with Pentair and it looks like I may be within the 3-year "bundled" warranty period since I purchased a Pentair pump, sand filter and SWG. Woo hoo! Many thanks for the suggestion. I called and cancelled my order for the switch that I had placed earlier today.

Holy cow. Well you've researched that more than me. I know I've paid Pentair $30 or so for $2 worth of plastic, that's how they are. I just searched again, I see the "after market" now. So it is what it is. Geez, you could buy two AMs for the price of the Pentair... I wonder if that topic has ever been hashed out here at TFP...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh, we just crossed posts. So glad to hear it. I'll be expecting a check for half the cost of the switch. Thanks a lot! ;)

Reactions: Flying Tivo
I help several neighbors with their pools (translation....I have bought many Pentair style flow switches). I've noticed both after market and OEM seem to last about the same time, which is way too short! You can end up replacing 2 through the life of the cell.

Last edited:
Yep, that's your 3rd. They are super easy to replace. I'd get an extra after market now. You'll need it sooner than you think (translation...the minute you are out of warranty).

Two small tips. When you cut the old one out, screw the new one in before you connect the wires. Second, buy a pack of the connectors from Amazon, for some reason they easily get lost and are handy for other projects. (P.S. you don't need to strip the wire before you crimp it).

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.