Recurring mustard algae and phosphates....

DYeatman

Jan 5, 2021
Melbourne, Florida
Hoping to get some advice here. I have a recurring mustard algae issue- I get a bloom 2-3x per year. I follow all the TFP rules religiously, keep my water balanced according to Pool Math every day, brush/vacuum every week, filter every month, etc. I do everything as advised from what I can tell. But sure enough the bloom shows up every 4-6 months. I have read here that I shouldn't be worrying about phosphates but I'm out of things to perfect, so- should I go ahead with a phosphate remover? Phosphates are around 500. Just finishing up a slam (and for the record, I SLAM properly too, brush everything- I promise, it's exhausting!) but my regular numbers are: 8500 gallons, CYA 45, FC 6, PH 7.6, TA 60, CH 380... Cartridge filter, Pebble tech surface, Florida climate... Would love any additional thoughts. TIA!

You can drop the phosphates, use a good one.. I used this one just to see if it would work and it did.. Amazon.com : SeaKlear 90207 Halo Source 1040105 Commercial Strength Phosphate Remover Quart Bottle Spa Accessories : Swimming Pool Stain Removers : Garden & Outdoor

CYA of 45, just say 50 CYA.. Try keeping your FC above 6 at all times, take it up to 8 or 9 daily...

The next best thing.. well I consider it the best thing in life and if mine dies today it would get replaced tomorrow... A salt water generator..

They work so good and keep the FC much more stable and are WAY easier .. :)

Reactions: Chihuaha Verde
I appreciate the reply, I do follow these mustard algae SLAM guidelines to the letter, every time- which is why I am reaching out here for further help.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Interesting... I've thought about a SWG but have not been quite sure. Are there any cons to a SWG that you would speak to? I think your tip to target FC at 8-9 and let it drift to 6 at the lowest is good advice. I'll admit I use 6 as the median so it does sometime go down to 4...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.