Rectangular Intex 12x24 what to put under support legs

Bwilsonmom5

Mar 21, 2022
Ripon, WI
We just purchased an intex xtr rectangular 12x24 agp. My 2 biggest concerns are getting the ground 100% level and what to put under the legs. Intex says to only use 15x15 pressure treated wood but I cannot find 15in width anywhere. Other people use 4inch thick 16x16 paver. I need suggestions. We live in Wisconsin, also do people leave this type of pool up in horrible winters? I see people with the round straight leg pools do around here, but not sure with this type of pool, especially how in caves in on sides until the pool is full

My 2 biggest concerns are getting the ground 100% level ...
An accurate and cheap 'big' level can be made from a long length of clear tubing mostly filled with colored water. I suggest keeping one end of the tubing at a fixed reference point and moving the other end of the tubing around the perimeter of your pool location to check how that point compares to your reference point. Details of this style of level can be seen here:

We just purchased an intex xtr rectangular 12x24 agp. My 2 biggest concerns are getting the ground 100% level and what to put under the legs. Intex says to only use 15x15 pressure treated wood but I cannot find 15in width anywhere. Other people use 4inch thick 16x16 paver. I need suggestions. We live in Wisconsin, also do people leave this type of pool up in horrible winters? I see people with the round straight leg pools do around here, but not sure with this type of pool, especially how in caves in on sides until the pool is full
I used 16" sections of 2x6 and it held up and I took mine down in late Sept.

Nope. When I took the frame out of the box, I measured. The OD of the legs on my pool were 15" in length that made ground contact, so I used a 16". The width is less than 4" so 2ft worked fine. When the frame is down, I marked from the center of where the legs would sit and put a marker there. The non-u supports will stand straight. The u-supports will bend when the pool fills. You can make adjustments to where the supports will be, very minimal tho based on your fill level. From the top of the rail, the u-support moved outwards about 30 degrees.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 140
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 150
I noticed the same request on my instructions and too cannot find a 15" piece of pressure-treated wood. I'm beginning to wonder if the manufacturer is making an impossible request to void any warranty issues. I guess the important thing to remember is that you have to create some kind of load spreader for the legs of the pool. I'm using pressure-treated plywood, specifically 2 sheets of 2'x8'x1/2". each sheet should give you 18 squares of 15"x15" for a total of 36 squares. I'm gluing 2 squares together to create 18 15"x15"x1" squares, enough for all 18 legs. I know the instructions call for 1.2" thickness, but the 1" thickness should be enough because you are dealing with plywood, which is stronger. If you want additional strength, you can use two 3/4" pieces of pressure-treated plywood to create a 1 1/2" thickness. Hope this helps.

We live in Wisconsin, also do people leave this type of pool up in horrible winters?
We live in Iowa and have the Intex 12x24 as well. We have left it up the last 2 winters about 1/3 full) and it has held up okay. The instructions say to take down during the winter to avoid frost damage, however due to the size I felt there was a bigger risk damaging it by taking it down (e.g. tearing the vinyl). I imagine leaving it up could void the warranty, but that was a risk we were willing to take.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.