Downingtown Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Had a rectangular Latham fiberglass pool installed using cleaned and crushed stone to backfill. Pool water was put in as backfill was added. Walls were straight and everything looked good right after install. We just had 3 straight days of rain here outside Philly and there was a lot of settling around the pool. We noticed the one wall has now bowed outward a few inches. I’ll post pictures. Trying to get the pool builder to come back to fix the issue. Does anyone know how this will get corrected? Is there any structural concerns for the fiberglass being bowed while we wait for it to get fixed?

Attachments

• 18EC9A9B-3720-4D00-9994-9FE2D194B38B.jpeg
    18EC9A9B-3720-4D00-9994-9FE2D194B38B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 108
We had a fiberglass pool installed about 3 weeks ago. Pool was filled with water and then over the next three days lost three inches of water or so. Water was almost below the skimmer. I filled it back up with the hose and now seems to be holding steady. Have done multiple bucket tests and everything seems normal. We do have a sump tube that goes to bottom of excavated pit that had about 11 inches of water after initial water loss. Anyone have any clue as to why the pool level could have dropped so quickly but now seems to be okay? I just got a sump pump that I’m going to drain the water that’s down there. It’s about 5 inches of water now. Also have a pressure test scheduled for next week. Any thoughts?

That's a very easy fix. Your pool builder will need to pull out some stone in the area and get a high tech 2×4 about 8ft long and shove it in the hole n use his body weight to push the wall towards the other wall. I'll tell you what's going to happen. The stone is going to start falling into the hole and hold the wall in place.

It's easier to fix the outward bow than it is to fix the inward bow. If he looks at you n scratches his head, tell him to get an 8ft high tech 2×4 n get to work. You could probably do it if he doesnt.

Mine came off the truck with an outward bow. I went back to look at pics from the truck delivery n sure enough... there it was. It's from the mold. Yours probably came that way n you didnt notice it until it got filled because I didn't. I see everything. :mrgreen:

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thanks for the reply. The body weight of a human will be able to straighten the pool wall with water pushing against it? If it’s that easy I will be thrilled! I was expecting some machinery to be involved.

I don’t think so. I have an 8” sight tube that I can put a submersible pump in to drain water beneath the pool. I also have a way to close off the skimmer and drain lines and use the pump to drain water beneath the pool but the pool builder couldn’t get it to work at orientation. They said there’s not enough water underneath to pump it out but not sure I believe that.

The body weight of a human will be able to straighten the pool wall with water pushing against it?
Yes. When my pool was being locked into place during fill, they used either a 4x4 (or maybe it was a 6x6) post about 8' long. Sometimes two guys would get on the end for additional leverage as they manipulated parts of the pool during backfill adjustment. I actually don't think that bow is all that bad or a structural concern, but this is a new pool and I understand you want your investment to be correct.

As for your other issue (potential leak), take your time and be sure so that you aren't chasing your tail for nothing. Be mindful of local ambient temps and wind. The wind can really take a lot of water quickly. If you still suspect a leak and you've done all of your own leak detection methods, then your installer should definitely be obligated to help with leak detection, pressure testing, or whatever else might be required.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don’t think so. I have an 8” sight tube that I can put a submersible pump in to drain water beneath the pool. I also have a way to close off the skimmer and drain lines and use the pump to drain water beneath the pool but the pool builder couldn’t get it to work at orientation. They said there’s not enough water underneath to pump it out but not sure I believe that.
Sometimes an overflow drain can create a siphon that continues to drain the pool even after the rain is over.

Yes. When my pool was being locked into place during fill, they used either a 4x4 (or maybe it was a 6x6) post about 8' long. Sometimes two guys would get on the end for additional leverage as they manipulated parts of the pool during backfill adjustment. I actually don't think that bow is all that bad or a structural concern, but this is a new pool and I understand you want your investment to be correct.

As for your other issue (potential leak), take your time and be sure so that you aren't chasing your tail for nothing. Be mindful of local ambient temps and wind. The wind can really take a lot of water quickly. If you still suspect a leak and you've done all of your own leak detection methods, then your installer should definitely be obligated to help with leak detection, pressure testing, or whatever else might be required.
How deep should the hole be to put the 4x4 post in? I have 3 lights on that wall with wiring buried I don’t want to hit.

How deep should the hole be to put the 4x4 post in? I have 3 lights on that wall with wiring buried I don’t want to hit.
In my scenario it wasn't a hole really. I think they placed something closer to surface level to serve as a pivot point for the timber. Then the end of the post was placed just under the lip of the shell anywhere around the pool that needed to be lifted/adjusted. When you see them use a long post and apply all that leverage, you then realize how strong these shells. are. That's just one example. Not sure if they would use teh same technique for your situation.

full

That's a very easy fix. Your pool builder will need to pull out some stone in the area and get a high tech 2×4 about 8ft long and shove it in the hole n use his body weight to push the wall towards the other wall. I'll tell you what's going to happen. The stone is going to start falling into the hole and hold the wall in place.

It's easier to fix the outward bow than it is to fix the inward bow. If he looks at you n scratches his head, tell him to get an 8ft high tech 2×4 n get to work. You could probably do it if he doesnt.

Mine came off the truck with an outward bow. I went back to look at pics from the truck delivery n sure enough... there it was. It's from the mold. Yours probably came that way n you didnt notice it until it got filled because I didn't. I see everything. :mrgreen:
How deep of a hole do you think to get enough leverage with a 2x4?

How deep of a hole do you think to get enough leverage with a 2x4?
2-3 ft where the bow is. Get it up against the wall n start pushing inward. You may have to move stone further up n down the wall to move the wall in. You'll hear the stone falling into the hole n It'll hold it in place. Push it in, check it. Push more n check it. You dont want to create an inward bow. My builder says those are more work to get out.

Pool builder came out today and fixed the bow in my pool. I was watching from the security camera while at work. They used what looked like ratchet straps. Went around my fence post which I’m not happy about but the wall is straight now. They drained the water a little too. Added some extra fill from around the pool to the new opening from straightening the wall. Thanks everyone for the help and morale support. I was freaking out a little.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Randy... I found a video on how my pool builder fixed my outward bow. Sorry I didnt take the time to look before. If you listen closely, you can hear the gravel fall and fill the void. My guys fixed the bow before back fill was completed. They were great and on top of everything. I didn't have to ask them to fix one thing. I also got to spend every single day of my build with them because I took off from work. We had a great time together and I learned a lot during the process and videoed a lot of my build.

Reactions: Lanzz
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.