SW PA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Looking into any recommendations on a good solar cover reel that is pretty simple to install and use on my own.

Thanks guys.

I had a HD Rockys reel from in the swim. This is it but it's rebranded here.

You will need a beefed up reel. 40 ft is alot of solar cover, and it comes off wet. Yeah. You will have less sag than me with the shorter span, but its still going to be a stupid amount of weight on the reel.

This reel had upgraded bushings that lasted longer. The bushings are a huge deal with a cover as big as yours. You'll want it easy to roll. They will still fail, but not as soon.

I also chose this one for the T feet. I never installed the wheels and it was planted firmly on the ground. I didn't get the same vibes from the models with 2 points of contact like an upside down V.

Also, go as thin as you can for the cover. With a reel you will not have the normal rip concerns of the people dragging them over the patio. Seran wrap would work as well to stop evaporation, so an 8 mil is fine.

And you need a cover for the cover. (I KNOW, Riiiiiiiiiiiiight ??? Lol) They make several various tarp like or canvas covers for them. When they are rolled up the heat has nowhere to go in between all the flaps and they will boil themselves on the reel on hot sunny days, which of COURSE will be pool days.

I'm getting stuck with the cover my PB gives me. He's hooking me up with some stuff as well as some pretty useless stuff like guess strips. :mrgreen:

Reactions: Newdude
They are cheap. Even jacked up with supply issues they went up to $167ish instead of closer to $100. It will do the trick long enough that it will probably be cheaper when the time comes.

I bought a solar cover reel for $139 for a 20'x40 pool 5 years ago and is still working fine. Unfortunately the vendor no longer sells it but I found 6 similar on Amazon:

charaHOME Pool Cover Reel

NSdirect Pool Cover Reel

VINGLI 21 Feet Pool Cover Reel

Nova Microdermabrasion Swimming Pool Cover Reel

Puluomis 20 Feet Pool Solar Cover Reel

VINGLI Swimming Pool Cover Reel

The only two that are prime and say free returns are the charaHOME and NSdirect so that is what I would get because you can return if it does not work for you, but I also do not like the plastic joints. The Sag problem is a problem when the cover is on the reel, but I put a plastic box under the middle of the reel when storing the cover on the reel and it supports well. I have had two 12 mm solar covers on it. I do think 8 mm would cause less sag but with the plastic box under the middle it is a non issue for me and the 12 mm were cheaper than the 8 mm when I was shopping for them. I would also do a google search to see if any other dealer has any better prices. If you choose any of the other 4 above be sure to check out the return policy. The tubes for my reel, and I assume these reels also, came in 3 parts and the middle tube slid into the outer tubes. I would buy 20' or greater length and slide it down farther to fit the size of your pool. This will give it greater strength to resist sag.
One other note on solar covers. It is my opinion they introduce algae into the pool because water gets on top of the cover with dirt that blows on the cover for food and the sun burning the chlorine away and algae starts to grow then when you roll it up, you dump it into the pool, but with the TFP method it is not a big problem, just may have to keep chlorine 1-2 ppm higher than normal.

Reactions: Casey
I would buy 20' or greater length and slide it down farther to fit the size of your pool. This will give it greater strength to resist sag
+10000000. (y)
It is my opinion they introduce algae into the pool because water gets on top of the cover with dirt that blows on the cover for food and the sun burning the chlorine away and algae starts to grow then when you roll it up, you dump it into the pool, but with the TFP method it is not a big problem, just may have to keep chlorine 1-2 ppm higher than normal.
I found mine cut my normal FC usage in half protecting it from the sun so it more than ‘covered’ any drawbacks. Hehe. Everyone’s mileage my vary of course.

Reactions: borjis
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.