Recovering from professional mismanagement - pH, TA, CYA

Erin R

Bronze Supporter
Mar 14, 2019
Tallahassee, FL
Happy summer, everyone! I have used TFP to successfully manage my 28,400 gallon SWG pool for several years (running the SWG at around 60-80% between 4-6 hours a day, depending on the season). This summer, I had to be out of town for two months, so I hired "professionals" to look after it.

When I returned, I found the SWG running at 100% 24 hours a day, the chlorine was sky high (17), the CYA was at 0, and the TA was 130, about twice the level I usually keep it at (50-70). The salt level was also way down. On the positive side, the pool was very clean, and the pH was relatively stable at 7.5, the sweet spot for my pool. Over the last week, I've been slowly working the salt level up (3200) and the chlorine level down (8.5), and that hasn't been too hard. The CYA is at 30, though I usually aim for 60-70. However, the TA keeps gradually rising (it's now 7.7 on the edge of 7.8), and now the pH is too (140).

My questions are about how to manage the transition back to normal, and how much to worry about the high TA, since I can't seem to do much about it. I've put in 160 pounds of salt in the last week to get the salt level up over several days, and pool math thinks I should add another bag to get to 3400. To get the CYA up, pool math recommends adding 10 pounds of chlorine stabilizer, which seems like a lot. And to get the pH down, it suggests 30 oz of muriatic acid.

I've added all of these things in the past, but never in such volume. Is it better to make these big changes all at once, or better to work them in more gradually? And is it better to correct for all these problems all at once, or one at a time more gradually? Finally, how much should I worry about the TA level? I'd also welcome any recommendations about how long to run the SWG at what levels, given the difference between my old approach and theirs. Can I go back to five hours at a high level? Grateful for your advice, --Erin

However, the TA keeps gradually rising (it's now 7.7 on the edge of 7.8), and now the pH is too (140).

I think you have pH and TA reversed. Just keep your pH in the 7s and your TA will come down in time.

10 lbs of stabilizer is about right. Add it.

I don’t follow your approach versus their approach for the SWG. Does not matter if you run the SWG at 100% for 10 hours or 50% for 20 hours.

The CYA is at 30, though I usually aim for 60-70. However, the TA keeps gradually rising (it's now 7.7 on the edge of 7.8), and now the pH is too (140).
Do you have your numbers swaped?! I hope so...
I would get the other numbers in line first (CYA, Salt) and deal with TA last.. its not that far off and may adjust some as you bring the other items in line. Then do the MA dance to bring your TA down. Unless I'm missing something.

Thank you both! Yes, I reversed the current readings of pH and TA in my message; sorry about that. But this is helpful. I'll worry about salt and CYA first, and then deal with the others. It seemed worrisome to do it all at once when the numbers were this far off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.