Recommended TA levels for saltwater pool

evoisard

Jul 22, 2019
Ohio
I was wondering what the recommended level was for total alkalinity for a saltwater pool. My level has increased from about 80 to 110 in the last month or so. I have heard that higher levels of TA can cause PH to rise more quickly.

Welcome to the forum!
Typically higher TA levels cause pH to rise quicker. Why is your TA rising?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

July was an extremely dry month here in Ohio so I have had to fill with well water several times. I suspect my well water may be the cause for the rise so I will test tonight. What do you recommend for a TA level?

From my understanding: Anything 50 or higher is fine. (Below 50 and you don't have enough buffer to prevent sudden pH crashes.) If it's too high, it will come down naturally as you add acid to lower the pH over time. The only time you need to work to lower TA is if your CSI is high due to high CH or other factors - otherwise you just need to know what it is to know how much acid is needed to lower the pH when needed, but otherwise can ignore it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.