Recommended LED Pool Light?

Aug 22, 2010
My 10 year old Pentair IntelliBrite LED pool light failed last season. Keeps tripping the breaker so i assume the entire unit needs to be replaced. Amazon reviews seem to be unfavorable for the IntelliBrite. Anyone have a recommendation on a solid, budget friendly LED light? I don't care about having 100's of colors as we only use a few. It would be ideal if it was compatible with our current Pentair controller, but i'm not sure if that's possible.

Well, I can't say which ones to buy, but I can tell you I've not been terribly impressed with my Savi Melody LEDs. So avoid those! Weak light, often out of sync and I believe at times they overheat and shut themselves off for a while. Weird lights.

Good luck in your quest. ?

Maddie :flower:

My original Jandy LED's failed within months (6 years ago and older technology). They were replaced under warranty and now after 5 years 2 of the 3 are failing (very dim). I'll do the replace myself but will be to another brand since Jandy have zero warranty for online or DIY install. LED's are not something you want zero warranty on. I'm converting everything to Pentair starting with automation next week... I'll follow this thread to see what the consensus is. Wish I could help more.

Chr

I have 2 Hayward Color LED's from new pool build last year. 1 died at 13 months. Other one still alive. Replaced under warranty from the builder but they wanted $$ for labor. Can't recommend the Hayward lights either.

My suggestion... buy the cheapest one you can stand, and expect to have to replace it every 2-5 years. Mine costs $800 each so I'm hoping for the 5 year plan. :oops:

Reactions: allinspector
I’m off the LED kick. I’m replacing my halogen pool light with...anyone halogen pool light (Pentair’s Amerilite). I figure I’ve seen the halogens (with inexpensive bulbs) last up to 33 years and have yet to see any LED meet even close to that. Pulling new fixtures is the most unpleasant pool job I’ve experienced, so a I’ll stick with the OG fixtures. The lights are rarely used and a good incandescent bulb lasts almost a decade. I purchased the Bulbwizards LED lights, and they worked well, but I only owned that house for 4 years. I never liked the colors, and the white LEDS are underwhelming for the price paid.
Pool guy friend and old neighbor won’t even warranty his labor on any LED light replacement. He never warranties any light bulb replacement, but that’s normal. Funny it’s mentioned as I toyed with an Intellibrite this week as an option and he told me last Monday he still gets constant failures with the new gen Pentair LEDS. I’m told the boards continue to fail. IMHO, it’s a time to revisit the pool LEDS to either structure them as the fiber optics, with the logic boards upstream in the automation box, or abandon them totally. They’re too expensive for such fundamental problems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used the older version of this LED Bulb. Worked good for 3 years, but I'm pretty sure my gasket failed and water got in the light fixture and killed it. Until then, it worked fine. Fairly inexpensive replacement for a standard bulb.

My 10 year old Pentair IntelliBrite LED pool light failed last season. Keeps tripping the breaker so i assume the entire unit needs to be replaced. Amazon reviews seem to be unfavorable for the IntelliBrite. Anyone have a recommendation on a solid, budget friendly LED light? I don't care about having 100's of colors as we only use a few. It would be ideal if it was compatible with our current Pentair controller, but i'm not sure if that's possible.
I have 3 Pentair LED lights (installed 2012), all are working just fine. Sorry can't help more.

I’m off the LED kick. I’m replacing my halogen pool light with...anyone halogen pool light (Pentair’s Amerilite).
I want to clarify, (I’m my own post) that the larger pool lights (Pentair Amerlite) are incandescent, not halogen. The SpaLites are halogen. The bulbs are larger than a softball. I bought a bunch of incandescent Amerlites this week. Some of them have broken bulbs and I see Amazon chock full of really spendy and untested (reviews aren’t really tests) that are toast with any water exposure. For the one side that go in large commercial fountains, we put the 18w household (100w equivalent) in and they work great.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.