Recommendations on pump/filter combo for renovation of 40k gallon pool

btmansfi

May 5, 2015
Chesapeake, VA
We just bought a house with a 40k gallon IG vinyl liner pool. I knew it needed a new liner and equipment but that has turned into replacing a couple polymer walls, removing a buddy seat, adding returns, adding deck jets, replacing the light in the deep end, adding 2 smaller lights to the shallow end, ripping out the concrete and replacing with new concrete or pavers, and redoing all of the plumbing (pool is 1.5" but I will be going with 2" all the way around).

So we're basically building a pool. I'm looking for some advice on equipment selection. I've had Pentair in the past and hated it. The last house we had we had a pool built and I went with all Hayward and loved it. That's my limited experience but that is leading me to go with Hayward again. The pool is on the larger side and will have valves for water feature, slide, etc so I am thinking of going with the TriStar VS 950 2.7hp (SP32950VSP). Pretty much set on that unless there is a legit reason not to. Also liked the AquaPlus so would probably go with that again.

As far as filter, I'm not 100% set on type. I've had DE and hated it so I really don't want to go that route, so that leaves cartridge or sand. Last house we had a sand filter and I loved it. I have been told to go with sand filter again but use glass media. I assume I'd need one of Hayward's 30" sand filters. Thoughts on that setup (sand filter with glass media) versus cartridge?

Anything else you'd recommend or not recommend?

Pentair, Jandy and Hayward all make similar equipment so if you like Hayward stick with what you know.
The TriStar pump is good. And if you are used to the AquaPlus system then best to keep that. Remember that the SWCG should be rated at 2x your pool volume. I think the Hayward brand only go up to 40k gallons rating. You may want to double check that.

I would suggest go with the largest (300sq ft or larger) cartridge filter. They are much easier to maintain, hookup and clean.

Will the new deck jets be powered by the single VS pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.