Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Hello! I recently have been doing a deep dive into my homes electrical usage and came to the quick conclusion that my pool pump is by-far the biggest culprit for most usage over time. When running it pulls nearly 8A, close to 1800W. This is wayy to much and costs me nearly $2/day, in non peak hours. Because of this, I am looking into getting a Variable Speed Pump and looking for recommendations from the community. I currently have a Pentair Superflo Single Speed 1.5 HP.

Ideally would like to break even on cost within 2 years, which i think is do-able. Research on the forum tells me that around 1100 RPM is a good setting to be at for my pool size. I think this would drop my usage down to about 1-2 A, which is dramatic savings. I like the idea of being able to control the rate which is why i'd prefer Variable over 2 speed.

I just installed the Circupool SJ-45 SWCG this past weekend and am happy with it. Because of that, I was thinking the CircuPool SmartFlo Variable Speed Pool Pump - 1.5 THP. I like this option because it is much cheaper than the Pentair one and it has an additional module that is available to integrate with automations.
I will DIY the install and ideally would like a drop-in install, but if not then its not the end of the world.

Thanks!

*The below graph is my current usage, a combination of the Pump and the SWCG loads.
1683218379356.png

What's more important to you? Reducing upfront cost or long-term reliability?

I considered upgrading to the Circupool VSP as well when I installed my SWG, but ended going going with CaliMar based on a recommendations from other members here. Take a look:

They are both from the same manufacturer and the only known difference at the moment is warranty & customer service. Can't speak to how reliable they are, but at a 1/3 of the cost of other brands it was worth the gamble for me.

What's more important to you? Reducing upfront cost or long-term reliability?

I considered upgrading to the Circupool VSP as well when I installed my SWG, but ended going going with CaliMar based on a recommendations from other members here. Take a look:

They are both from the same manufacturer and the only known difference at the moment is warranty & customer service. Can't speak to how reliable they are, but at a 1/3 of the cost of other brands it was worth the gamble for me.
Good to know! Are you happy with the Calimar? If they are the same parts, I have no problem going with the cheaper one.

Good to know! Are you happy with the Calimar? If they are the same parts, I have no problem going with the cheaper one.
So far so good, but I'm only about 3 weeks into ownership... haha I run mine 24/7 at a low RPM and it's super quiet. Can't even tell that it's on until you get close to it. I'm sure other owners who've had theirs longer can chime in on their experience.

Can't stress the customer service thing enough. I've read about members reaching out for general questions with no response. There's also a report of someone who had a warranty issue and they were completely ghosted, so just be prepared for that.

Also, I highly recommend getting a set of unions as they don't come with any like other brands do. Make sure you get the right size to fit your new pump and pool plumbing.

Reactions: Newdude
Copy that. I'm thinking the +1-yr extended warranty for $30 isn't a bad deal. I think I'm convinced!
If you think you may ever venture into automation, you might want to pick up the automation interface available through the same vendor. It's a steal at the current price. This interface will allow connection to a variety of controllers from basic Wi-Fi relays to traditional automation systems. There are a few members here who have gone that route with this pump and have had positive results.

So far so good, but I'm only about 3 weeks into ownership... haha I run mine 24/7 at a low RPM and it's super quiet. Can't even tell that it's on until you get close to it. I'm sure other owners who've had theirs longer can chime in on their experience.

Can't stress the customer service thing enough. I've read about members reaching out for general questions with no response. There's also a report of someone who had a warranty issue and they were completely ghosted, so just be prepared for that.

Also, I highly recommend getting a set of unions as they don't come with any like other brands do. Make sure you get the right size to fit your new pump and pool plumbing.
The noise difference is my favorite part. With my old superpump I turned the pump off when we had company and it was 10’ away. Was annoying and was hard to relax.

True story
The day I installed my Tristar I was ******!! Walked outside and the stupid pump wasn’t running anymore..Then when I looked close the pressure gauge was at 7 and I put my hand on the pump and it was running.

Reactions: tidnab and jamesey
+1. I did all the showings on my house when we moved due to Covid restrictions at the time. We'd stand there looking at the pool and I'd tell them to notice the jets running. Do you hear the pump ? No ? Turn around. It's 10 ft behind you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have had the Calimar pump with automation adapter (controlled via Jandy Aqualink relays) for about six months. No complaints at all. Well made, efficient, and very quiet.

I'd suggest going for the 3hp instead of the 1.5hp. You'll be able to run it slower while generating the same flow (quieter, saves electricity, should theoretically last longer).

My current pump is a Black & Decker 3 hp variable speed pump. I replaced my Pentair Intelliflow VS 3050. Because the keypad went bad. You have to buy the whole controller because the keypad is not sold separately. The cost of the controller is around $1000. I purchased this pump new & installed it myself in 2009. I did not want to spend that much money to repair that old of a pump. I think the Pentair Intelliflow is a better pump than my Black & Decker VSP, but the verdict is still out.

Reactions: tidnab and Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.