Recommendations for cover weight

Gadragonfly

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 16, 2017
Fairburn, Georgia
I've searched and not finding anything, I'm coming to the experts for advice. We've not closed our pool in the past three years because we really only get below freezing weather about one or two weeks of the year and those days aren't contiguous. However, we fight leaves and debris every year. So this year we thought we'd throw a cover over the water, still not closing the pool. We purchased a light weight custom cover last year but I disagreed with my husband about using it so we didn't. His idea was to cut it to fit inside the pool and have it float over the water. I wanted to use water weights. I expressed my concern this year and think I've won the discussion. My concern being one of our feral cats thinking they could walk across the cover and falling under the cover and getting trapped. Anyway, would any of you fine people give me review or advice concerning use of water tubes to weigh down the cover? Thanks in advance.

I would *not* do as your husband suggests as you say, animals and kids can still fall in. Leaves also will find their way in.

Why did you disagree with hubby about using the custom made cover? I'd use that for sure.....just popping it (or at least a large corner of it) open now and then during sunny warm days to let any gasses out. I run my pool under and autocover and that's what we do.

Maddie :flower:

Sorry, I didn't explain myself well. The argument was regarding his idea of floating it vs using weights. I love the idea of using this cover vs the heavy canvas cover that the previous owner used. I think he didn't realize what I was talking about because when I showed him a picture he asked if I could get them delivered tomorrow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.