Recommendation needed for replacing concrete pool lining

Do you think it is necessary to chip out all the concrete? They are proposing to fix some cracks and deterioration in some localized places. No one told us it was necessary to chip out everything but just those places that are obviously needed. The pool is really in decent shape considering it’s age

Once you know you have some areas of delamination it is difficult or impossible to 100% determine the good from the bad areas. The plasterer will try and determine it but if they are wrong you are left with the problems. The only way to know you have a solid base layer if to do a 100% chipout. You need to decide on the risk versus the cost savings of a partial chipout.

That's a big pool and we pay a premium for plaster in the northeast. Add corona and prices are crazy right now. I have seen quotes over 20k for just a plaster job this year its nuts. As for water I pay almost 400 a load for 7500 gallons here so you are cheaper at 1500

I would not put new plaster over 30-year-old plaster, period. That old plaster is at the end of its life. I was in the same situation a couple of years ago. I had all the old plaster chipped out and replaced with Wet Edge Luna Quartz. I spent extra for the quartz due to its supposedly greater durability. Only time will tell whether it was worth it.
Yes, thank you. What color did you get and do you like it? I ordered Martinique-it is the lightest I believe. The pool folks came yesterday and began to remove plaster and fix a few cracks. They ended up removing all the plaster because in many places there was sand indicating that the plaster was almost completely unraveled. I am so thankful the old plaster all be removed! I will attach a photo. Now I need to start another thread and ask for recommendations for the pool light which has not worked since we moved in!

Attachments

• 694CB3CA-B95F-41DE-B185-3B53CBD7C371.jpeg
    694CB3CA-B95F-41DE-B185-3B53CBD7C371.jpeg
    568.6 KB · Views: 18
  • A0C54191-D08B-4F56-8FE2-1F547A6EC035.jpeg
    A0C54191-D08B-4F56-8FE2-1F547A6EC035.jpeg
    416.6 KB · Views: 18
What color did you get and do you like it? I ordered Martinique-it is the lightest I believe. The pool folks came yesterday and began to remove plaster and fix a few cracks. They ended up removing all the plaster because in many places there was sand indicating that the plaster was almost completely unraveled. I am so thankful the old plaster all be removed!
I also got Martinique. It's not as dramatic as many of their finishes, but I like it. It looks blue in the deep end. I almost went with Key West until I learned that lighter bases are less likely to show visible mottling as they age. The Wet Edge catalog says it right out loud:
Pigmented quartz colors may increase the possible look of mottling, swirling, and trowel marks.
(Their lightest quartz is Polar White which is too white.)

Glad you're getting all the old plaster chipped out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.