Recirculate returns nothing to pool; Help!

jetskierg

Jul 5, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Hi, i have an old 1974 Sylvan plaster pool with a 24" American sandpiper sand filter, and a newer waterco 1hp pump. I have one 'main drain' in deep end of diving pool. about 22k gallons i think.
I have an Americana pac fab multiport valve. It has limited settings. It doesn't have 'recirculate' on it. It has 'auxilliary circulation' instead. Problem is I need to get water chemistry right but I can't add chemicals because when I put on 'auxilliary circulation' nothing returns to the pool. fyi-It also doesn't have 'Rinse', but only 'Filter to waste'.

I have 3 white eyeballs, and about 8 blue holes where whips used to be in pool walls. Nothing comes out during 'auxilliary circulation.' When I run 'Filter/vac to pool' with my Baracuda G3 pool cleaner, (cleaner doesn't come out of pool wall. My cleaner hose runs into one of the holes in the skimmer) it does return water through the 'former whip holes'.

It's my understanding i do not want my chemicals going through the filter, but just recirculating in the pool. How can I do that when nothing returns to the pool? Water has green algae in places. I have chemicals ready to go, just no way to recirculate them.

I must point out that there are 3 'faucet handles' near pump that I do not know what they do or how to use them if that helps. thx

Post pics of your plumbing and MPV.

@PoolguyinCT you have any idea how the ‘auxilliary circulation' is supposed to work?

Hi, welcome to TFP! Most chemicals are ok to go through the filter. We say no to using flocc through the filter as it will gum it up. No adding loose granules of CYA because they get caught in the filter and take much longer to dissolve. If you backwash before they dissolve then you have wasted CYA.

thanks. so you are saying i can just remove my pool cleaner, leave it on 'filter/vac to pool', and add my chemicals? (ph up, shock, algeacide)
If that works for now, then great. This Arizona sun is making a mess of the pool. However, I will need the 'recirculate' to work eventually.

If this 'auxiliary circulation' does not return water to the pool, where does that water go?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good question. Guess i was mistaken. I just tried auxiliary and noticed it does come out of the blue former whip holes. Guess I confused it with nothing ever coming out of the 3 eyeballs. It is trying to recirculate. I also noticed some leaks in the pvc with this setting on. it swirls above the basket in the skimmer, but nothing goes down into the basket. It hasn't had a weir door since i moved in either. Would that keep it from going in the basket? Looks like i have some sealing to do on the pvc. I have silicone sealant. will that do?

This whole system is a bit out of my comfort range.

Trying to seal PVC with silicone will not work for long. It needs to be properly repaired.

The only time I use recirculate is to winterize...you almost always want the pool water to flow through the filter during normal operation. Adding chemicals is not an issue....although most chemicals should not be added to the skimmer....they should be slowly poured in front of an eyeball return with the pump running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.