Recent Test

Michaelg90

Mar 10, 2019
Orlando
I live in Orlando Fl and the temperature traditionally is always hot. I was able to experiment this summer as this is my first year with a pool and the usage of FC. I was able to use 1 puck per week and the use of liquid chlorine and not have any CYA rise (given the rain and auto drain) which was nice as it allowed me to not use as much liquid per week and only have to add it once a week versus twice. I usually check the pool twice a week and make any chemical additions as necessary. I traditionally check my CYA and CH once a month. Recently the temp here has dipped into the 60-70s (enter FL winter joke here) and noticed the chemistry in the pool has begun to change. This being my first winter with a pool, off the bat I noticed the FC has lasted longer and PH has stabilized longer not requiring as much acid. I however did not stop placing one puck in per week. With the recent month check up on the CYA I now noticed it is 70 from 40. Now a 30ppm jump after 4 pucks seems abnormal but nonetheless it is my reality now. After logging my recent test:

FC 4
CC 0
PH 7.7
CH 225
ALK 70
CYA 70
CSI -.47

I noticed my CSI is negative beyond the recommended .30 on the app.

It appears increasing ALK to 90 or an increase of CH to 275 would put me in good shape. Which would be the recommended course of action? Calcium seems expensive to buy but ALK at 90 I noticed has my PH increase to often causing more frequent use of MA which only brings it down agian wastes my money.

I would like to add that over the course of this first year I have developed in the corners of the stairs or in random spots on the floor small scale stains. After extreme research on this site, speaking to the pool company and friends whom are pool owners, I may conduct a no drain acid wash using MA and 24/7 run for a 3-4 days with twice a day scrubbing as it appears to work via experience of other users onthis site. From my understanding there is a calcium hardness increase during this process as the acidic water during the treatment will leach it out of the plaster. I’m afraid that if I add calcium now to tackle CSI issue I could approach the maximum 350 target for this test and have to drain a portion of the water from the pool to bring down to normal levels.

I value your advice on best recommended next steps from here. Thank you.

Michel,

There is nothing wrong with using a a combination of tabs and liquid chlorine.. But... no matter what you do, the CYA to FC ration must be maintained... You are running at 4 when you should be between 8 and 10. 5 ppm is the absolute minimum.... You should never even get close to 5.. The little spots you have are most likely algae...

Maybe I just entered the numbers wrong, but at a pool temp of 68, I show your CSI to be -.24 and if you just let you pH drift up to 7.8 or 7.9 it drops to -.05 or perfect...

There is no need to keep your pH at 7.7.. I never screw with TA as long as it is above 50 and my pH is OK..

Let's see what our other members have to say..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: wireform
I appreciate the response. It is not alegae as it has been there for months and have scrubbed the pool contiunious. In addition no CC are present which usually appear when algae is there.
I believe the numbers you entered are wrong. As it appears at -.37 at 68 degrees but it has been more like 65 degrees lately.

I appreciate the response however I’m 100% positive it’s not algae as I conducted a overnight test and slammed the pool to confirm the first go round. Passed all tests.
It is scale from the first few months of not having a test kit and being a dumb beginner pool owner. Not following the instructions on this site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scale usually takes more then a few months to develop. What was your water chemistry during that time?

If you are sure it is scale then I would run your CSI at around -0.5 to -0.6 for 3 to 6 months and see if the scale dissolves over time. That is a lot less aggressive to your plaster then an acid wash.

If you have confirmed it is calcium scale, then keep your CSI at -0.3 to -0.6 and it will dissolve over time. Do not do an acid wash. That is too drastic.

I did the -.30-.60 for 3-6 months already. I kept it at -.47 for a while and nothing changed. I’ll attempt agian now that it’s colder and easier to dip lower with the colder water. So I take it don’t add anything at this time and stay within the - CSI is the recommended course?

Scale usually takes more then a few months to develop. What was your water chemistry during that time?

If you are sure it is scale then I would run your CSI at around -0.5 to -0.6 for 3 to 6 months and see if the scale dissolves over time. That is a lot less aggressive to your plaster then an acid wash.

Well I was testing every two weeks only using the pool store results for a solid 3 to 3.5 months so I could only imagine the PH in the beginning with the fresh plaster hitting 8 and sitting there for a week or so before my next visit.

So I take it don’t add anything at this time and stay within the - CSI is the recommended course?
Yes. If it does not reduce the scale then I doubt it is calcium scale.

Any chance of a picture? Have you set a trichlor puck on it for a few minutes to see what happens?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What test kit are you using?

Is this the same water as when you initially filled your pool?

Any chance of a picture? Have you set a trichlor puck on it for a few minutes to see what happens?

Here is 5 photos I took in the morning as you can see it when the sun is just coming out. My vote is scale. The texture and feel and look matches the ebook description. I currently use the TF100

Attachments

• E54AF588-B2A3-47B9-93DE-3A9B3EF1D075.jpeg
    E54AF588-B2A3-47B9-93DE-3A9B3EF1D075.jpeg
    397.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 6EF09586-3B82-42BA-9174-966CC26C8855.jpeg
    6EF09586-3B82-42BA-9174-966CC26C8855.jpeg
    632.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 6B4824D2-5490-43A9-AA63-C90D01733BD0.jpeg
    6B4824D2-5490-43A9-AA63-C90D01733BD0.jpeg
    531.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 4406EEA7-1B4C-47A8-8A92-3725C2AF09DA.jpeg
    4406EEA7-1B4C-47A8-8A92-3725C2AF09DA.jpeg
    487.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 77DF83E0-2CBE-4F0F-96E6-62C9126E9C00.jpeg
    77DF83E0-2CBE-4F0F-96E6-62C9126E9C00.jpeg
    682.1 KB · Views: 25

did you get the photos? I haven’t tried a puck on it but I did use the jacks magic test kit and it reacted and removed the sand like material instantly with their stain/scale remover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.