Recent Test

Michaelg90

Mar 10, 2019
Orlando
So I just got back from leslies as I wait for my TF-100 to come in the mail and these were my results:

FAC 3
TAC 3
CH 250
CYA 90
TA 60
PH 7.4
Copper 0
Iron 0
TDS 700
Pho 200

Thoughts on next step? I used the pool math app and it state 4 Lbs of baking soda. You agree?

Because I've received such inconsistent test results from the pool $tore, I have no confidence in them. The only thing I would do is bump up FC to the recommended levels for a CYA of 90: Chlorine/CYA Chart. You won't do much harm by raising FC. I wouldn't add anything until you get some reliable results from your TF-100.

Because I've received such inconsistent test results from the pool $tore, I have no confidence in them. The only thing I would do is bump up FC to the recommended levels for a CYA of 90: Chlorine/CYA Chart. You won't do much harm by raising FC. I wouldn't add anything until you get some reliable results from your TF-100.
It should take 7 days before it arrives so I should be alright until then your saying?

It should take 7 days before it arrives so I should be alright until then your saying?

Yes.

Only adjustment I would make until your TF-100 arrives is to your raise your FC level.

Post a complete set of your TF-100 tests. If your CYA tests to 90 or higher then you need to follow step 8 in the CYA Test Directions and do a 50% dilution test:

If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
  1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
  2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
  3. Shake briefly to mix.
  4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
  5. Continue the test normally from step 2, but multiply the final result by two.
If your CYA is 90+ then you need to drain and refill 50+% of your water to get your CYA down around 40. No reason to dump other chemicals into the water until after the drain and refill.

You been using tablets for chlorination? You need to stop using your Rainbow Feeder and use liquid chlorine to stop adding CYA with the tablets. Consider installing a SWG. Then a CYA or 70-80 would be fine.

Michael,

Once you get your test kit, post some results and you'll get some solid advice. Most of us that are here came because of problems with our pools, and most of us took advice from pool stores. If your CYA is as high as the test shows, a drain and refill may be in your future. If I lived a bit closer, I'd bring you my kit. Tablets will lead to high CYA rapidly if they are used as your primary source of chlorine. Ask me how I know.

Good luck,

Mike.

Michael,

Once you get your test kit, post some results and you'll get some solid advice. Most of us that are here came because of problems with our pools, and most of us took advice from pool stores. If your CYA is as high as the test shows, a drain and refill may be in your future. If I lived a bit closer, I'd bring you my kit. Tablets will lead to high CYA rapidly if they are used as your primary source of chlorine. Ask me how I know.

Good luck,

Mike.

Mike, thank you for the kind gesture. I will continue to monitor PH and Chlorine levels using my simple Taylor set I have now and once the F100 comes ill post results. Interesting to learn about the pucks. So eventually your saying once the CYA levels are normalized (either now by solid reading or via drain) I should switch to liquid chlorine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So eventually your saying once the CYA levels are normalized (either now by solid reading or via drain) I should switch to liquid chlorine?

Exactly...or go with a SWG. You didn't mention you had a test kit for pH. What reading are you getting for pH with your test kit?

I think you're fine where you're at until you get your test kit. Keep you FC in the 10 range and don't let it drop below 7 (based on the Chlorine/CYA chart). you could work on raising your pH by aerating. Aeration can be provided by a spa jets, waterfall, fountain, return pointed up so it breaks the surface, air compressor, kids splashing, rain, etc.

So just got my kit (which is awesome) and did a complete test on the water while the pump has been running for 6 hours. Here are the results:

P/h 7.5
CI 5
FC 3
CC 0
CH 400
TA 60
CYA 55

What should I be doing to correct this? It seems I need to raise TA a little and increase chlorine and lower CH right?

What order should I tackle this? I want to run CYA test agian and confirm as the pool stores number was way off.

Round up the CYA to 60. The scale is logarithmic, so you can not interpolate between the marks.

CH is what it is. Only way to reduce it is to drain water out of the pool and replace it with water with less CH.

TA is fine. As long as the pH is stable, no issues.

Follow the FC/CYA chart.

Round up the CYA to 60. The scale is logarithmic, so you can not interpolate between the marks.

CH is what it is. Only way to reduce it is to drain water out of the pool and replace it with water with less CH.

TA is fine. As long as the pH is stable, no issues.

Follow the FC/CYA chart.
Okay so you just place more chlorine then? I’m going to use liquid Chrloine as the tabs are trash. If we plan to swim Tommorrow, I should put it in two hours before right? Mix it with water and place in deep end near return jets?

When you do the CYA test, try this next time.

Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

The vial is in logarithmic scale. So it is not viable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....

Be sure to pour the solution back into the mixing bottle after each test and do the test again. After 3 or 4 times you will get a consistent reading.

When you do the CYA test, try this next time.

Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

The vial is in logarithmic scale. So it is not viable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....

Be sure to pour the solution back into the mixing bottle after each test and do the test again. After 3 or 4 times you will get a consistent reading.
Thank you sounds good will do. The rest were straight forward but that one takes a few practice I can see it if I look hard or with both eyes but with one eye at a quick glance it can appear gone

Okay so you just place more chlorine then? I’m going to use liquid Chrloine as the tabs are trash. If we plan to swim Tommorrow, I should put it in two hours before right? Mix it with water and place in deep end near return jets?
Add the chlorine now. Then pick a time of day, each day, that you can test and add your chlorine. With a CYA of 60 your FC target should be 7-9 ppm.

It would be best to let your CYA level come down some. If you see you are going to get some rain drain off some water and let the rain fill it up. The CYA will also degrade a bit during the summer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.