Real basic pool automation suggestions and pump replacement

johnm708

Jul 22, 2020
Crystal River, FL
I have a 15,000-gallon inground pool with the following:
  • 1 pool light that works off a switch inside the house, which is not working at the moment, I suspect needs a new bulb.
  • Intermatic basic mechanical timer, which needs to be replaced, not keeping time
  • and until it stopped working yesterday, a Hayward Super Pump, single-speed, 1 HP which I installed in 2017
I'm looking for the easiest, most cost-effective way of changing out the pump as well as adding automation, preferably something that will work with Google Home Assistant and my other smart devices.

After doing some research, I am thinking the easiest, most cost-effective way of doing this would be to buy and install a Century V-Green 165 motor to replace the burnt-out motor on my super pump, this way I don't need to mess with any of the plumbing. And for automation, install the Pentair IntelliConnect Pool Control & Monitoring System. I can not find anything that specifically tells me if the Intelliconnect and the V-Green will work together. The website for the V-Green says it will work with third-party automation but that's about it and I'm not finding anything on the internet about this combination.

Basically, I would like to have mobile access and ideally voice control via Google Assistant, to the pool pump, possibly the light switch. That's it, no valves, waterfalls, real basic.

Well if you go with the V-Green motor than you might want to consider their VLink Wireless Adapter. It will only control the pump but it does have an app (both Apple and Android) which allows full control of the motor. The "works with third party automation" refers to the four Digital Inputs. These provided , in my option, limited functionality just allowing switching between the various speed /duration set points programmed into the motor controller. The Vlink app does not have any integration with Alexa or Google Home yet. Although I did want the Alexa feature, I'm finding that the app is sufficient and probably wouldn't use the Alexa feature much if at all. As for the control of the light, I would just for a smart switch. This what I used to control my pool light, Meross Smart Switch. It fully integrated with Alexa and Google Home.

Last edited:
I wired a caseta light switch to a relay which turns on and off the pool pump and same setup for my heater. I can put them on a schedule, turn on off from my phone from anywhere and use Google home to control. All for 60 bucks. In terms of pump I would get a dual speed. Run it on low pretty much 24/7 for way less than a single speed running a few hours a day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.