PearlandPoolFam

Dec 14, 2020
Houston, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
HI all! I have been reading up on the TFP method and getting lots of advice on problems with our build over the last year. We just let go of our pool co, who used Orenda Tech LSI method. They were keeping our FC low, pH high (in my opinion) and well...we have winter algae! The last few weeks we have had recurring spots of green algae in the corners. They used cal-hypo not pucks, and we liked that approach. However, they were unable to control the little recurring algae problem. They insisted the LSI numbers were right... So we are done and ready to start on our own. I ordered a Taylor Kit that will be here in 5 days. I am assuming that since we are having some recurring algae, that I need to follow the SLAM process first? Add me to the list of overwhelmed beginners but very much wanting to learn to manage our pool. We already brush between their visits, run the robotic cleaner as needed and are fairly familiar with our pad.

Here was the readings from their last visit. I also got very similar readings when I took my water to Leslies.

60 F temperature
0.5 ppm free chlorine
0.5 ppm total chlorine
8.2 pH
120 ppm total alkalinity
30 ppm cyanuric acid
350 ppm calcium hardness

Appreciate any tips!!!!!

Thank you,
Kathy

Hey Kathy !!! We got you. Download the poolmath app. Setup with your info, and press the FC tab. Enter your CYA and select 0 to 3 for FC. On the bottom it will tell you XX ounces of chlorine. Add that each day until the kit comes. You want plain, unscented, no splashless, no anything, bleach/chlorine. Hd/Lowes/Walmart have 10% 'chlorinating liquid' in the outdoor garden area with the pool supplies. Or pool stores, but just get the bleach and get out like a ninja.

I ordered this one: Taylor Service Complete Pool Water Test Kit K-2006C

Good kit! Also consider a Speedstir. A magnetic pill spins and stirs for you as you drop and watch. It makes testing easier and more consistent (and a bit fun).

You've made some good choices...welcome!

Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP fellow Texan! You're on the right track getting a good test kit and saying "adios"
to the pool company. Ask questions, especially if you are uncertain about what you are adding or
why. The Poolmath app is a great tool. You won't believe how simple and $$$ saving TFP is
in caring for your pool. Oh and a big +1 on getting the Speedstir…..increased accuracy and fun!

I found it was really helpful to collect the bottles I needed for any test, line then up in order with the caps off, and be ready to go bang bang bang.

K-2006 Completeâ„¢ Kit with FAS-DPD - YouTube

Use only 10 ml of water for the FAS-DPD test. One scoop of powder and each drop of reagent to clear is 0.5ppm FC.
Ok! That I’m seeing at 5.5. We shocked our pool two days ago. I’m not seeing any reaction when I try to measure the combined chlorine? I added the 5 drops of R0003 and it stayed clear. I’m doing the 10ml sample test

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.