Ready to give up...6 days pool WONT clear! Help plz

Woke up this morning and first things first, had to look out my bedroom window and view the pool. Well I have to say that it looks to be a bit more blue than green!!!! I was ecstatic!!! Went outside and I can make out the bottom of the shallow end! Still cloudy but I can SEE IT!!!
Immediately backwashed and tested. This mornings numbers 8:am

FC 11.5
CC .5 (YES!!!)
PH 7.2
CYA 25 dropped from 35 as stupid me backwashed last night and neighbor stopped by and I forgot about it backwashing. Lost about 2 inches of water. Ugh!!!!

Checked levels again at 2 and my CC IS 0!! I’m doing something right!!

Vacuumed this morning and brushed again this afternoon. Hopefully I will continue to see an improvement. When I can see the main drain I’m having a PARTY!!! [emoji322]

I will post some pics tomorrow but for now here is how it looked this morning. Thanks for helping and supporting me. I love this forum!!
-Julie
a6c01c77d902eb61f75447b1c1b7862c.jpg

Just so you don't get discouraged, it is normal to see 0 to .5 fluctuations in CC results. CCs are constantly being generated and broken down so you may see them pop up in your test results from time to time. So if you see a CC of .5 again, its ok. Just a normal part of the process.

Day 9. Much improved. Hard to believe what I started with! Pool is now more blue than green and I am able to see the main drain. You can see the vacuum in the deep end (pic below)
212038f5f970488a63af8b25796fdedb.jpg
a8332ac7cc6224f672185af09d943429.jpg
517944170463e59a67b6c6e0da9147f3.jpg
6465846ba764ae99eba4098b6f47bc04.jpg
which is still cloudy. I continue to brush and keep the levels at shock level. I’m hoping a few more days of SLAM and we will be swimming!

You are definitely making strides in clearing your pool. Sand filters take the longest to filter out dead algae and what not.

Thanks so much!!! It’s looking better everyday. Unfortunately the sun hasn’t been out for a few days and prob gonna be 3-4 more days before we see it so I haven’t taken any more pics.

Continuing to SLAM, brush, vacuum and backwash. I prob went thru 20 gallons or more of 10% bleach. I’m only adding 1/2 gallon a day now to keep the levels up. It’s really just the deep end now. The green is barely there but it is still cloudy in the deep end. Everyday that drain becomes clearer and I can’t tell you how happy that makes me! It’s been some work but definitely seeing the fruits of my labor! Even my neighbor couldn’t believe how much it’s improved from opening. I wake up and first thing I do is look down at the drain lol!

I did take an obstructed view pic from my bathroom window and it’s blue!!! Soooo rewarding and I can’t wait to get in it!!!! Here’s the pic I took this morning. Not the best pic but you get the idea!! Thanks for the support! I needed it! I’ve had my pool for 20 years but DH always did this so I learned as I went along. Prob would’ve filled it in if it wasn’t for TFP!

187ef16a273595f9c176604c4c1d9e39.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Look [emoji102] what I did!!!!!!! My pool looks like a pool!!!!!! t it l

I have what looks like a pile of sand in the deep end. I stink using a manual vacuum and my s200 just won’t get it. I keep brushing it to try to break it up but it falls back to the bottom in one big clump. I turned everything off except the main drain hoping that will help but it isn’t really helping. Any suggestions as to what I can do without attaching my manual vacuum? I just don’t have the strength to push that thing around

Here’s the sand pile. Not sure you can make it out.

b27a98c7c1a02e54a8e7211f651674b5.jpg

b2017442452ede2ae76a41e2d1ab738e.jpg
b80bc6493f0b51db9e5016bcc774ef46.jpg

I turned on main drain only and brushed the sand over the drain and let it settle onto the drain so it could be evacuated. Took some time but I think I got most of it. It’s almost there!!!! A few more times brushing it down and I’m thinking another day or two of SLAM for the darn deep end. My son (18) came out with me today and was as happy as I was that the drain is even more visible! Feels like I’ve got my pool back!!

I don’t want to deal with algae again this season. My CYA is 30 so if I keep my FC 5-7 I should be good correct??

My CYA is 30 so if I keep my FC 5-7 I should be good correct??
That's correct..........however, let common sense be your guide and if you see your water start to look dull, cloudy or the least bit green, act quickly and recognize that you are low on chlorine......regardless of your testing. The answer is to IMMEDIATELY elevate your FC to maybe 50-100% over it's normal level and your pool should clear right back up.

I would also suggest you elevate CYA from 30 up to 50 ppm for the rest of the summer. You will slow your FC consumption noticeably.

I would also suggest you elevate CYA from 30 up to 50 ppm for the rest of the summer. You will slow your FC consumption noticeably.

I think I will take ur advice and raise it. I’m away a few days a week at a shore house so the slower the FC consumption the better.

Also, they water right now is dull to me but FC is at 12.5. Is that because I’m still doing SLAM? Or maybe because it’s not quite there yet. I will definitely keep an eye out for visual changes in the water as well as my levels. Thank you!!

I have to say that your progress from "black swamp" to "almost clear" has been fun to watch. Keep at it!

Thank you. Just be happy your watching! Lol!!!

Although I have to say, with the exception of day 6/7, I’ve enjoyed the challenge and seeing everyone else’s before and afters kept me going! Weather hasn’t been great to swim so that helped too. It’s still hard to believe what I started with!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.