Here’s my numbers:

FC-7
CC-0
PH-7.4
TA-90
CH-150
CYA-30-40( I can never pinpoint this)
Temp-82

I’ve never added boric acid to a pool, but have been putting it in my hot tub for years......usually with a TA of around 60.

I have a Hasa Liquidator on the way. Should I wait to get that dialed in before adding boric acid?

Also, lots of rain on the way so solar cover will probably stay on for a few days. Should pool be uncovered for a period of time while adding boric acid?

Water clarity is great, only issue is a bit of dust from the Zeostuff on the bottom.

IMO, your TA is too high to be adding borates. Because once you add them, it is harder to adjust the pH and TA.

Why do you feel you need the borates? Is your pH rising too quickly for your liking?

No, I’ve actually been pushing ph up a bit while using pucks. Switched to liquid 4 days ago so I’m anticipating a bit of ph rise.

I(my wife) likes the water feel of the hot tub with borates, so I’ve been using them for about 5 years. New to this pool stuff, should I just wait a bit and see if I(she) notices?

I would hold off and see if she says anything. Just having a TFP pool is often good enough.

Or you could add some salt to the water which also makes if feel "softer".

Just having a TFP pool is often good enough.

Just to follow up:

This was great advice. At this stage, I’ve not added any borates or salt and glad I didn’t. We’ve had so much rain that any adjuncts would have just been wasted. Been hitting my target levels consistently, getting to know my pool and the water is fantastic!

Cheap pool + TFP method = awesome swimming.

Just to follow up:

This was great advice. At this stage, I’ve not added any borates or salt and glad I didn’t. We’ve had so much rain that any adjuncts would have just been wasted. Been hitting my target levels consistently, getting to know my pool and the water is fantastic!

Cheap pool + TFP method = awesome swimming.

This is my experience too!!

Also, had a TFP expert here tell me that adding liquid chlorine is a pH neutral action. I now believe it. The whole "Liquid Chlorine requires lots of muriatic acid to offset the pH increase" is bunk!

People feel that way because A) no acidic pucks to keep the pH down so pH naturally ends up rising with aeration, and B) pool stores recommend a higher TA that drives up the pH (offset by tablets) than TFP does.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.