Help me double check what I'm doing (boric acid)

ParB

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 26, 2020
SF Bay area (silicon valley)
Hi all,

Just replaced my SWG cell a week ago and my FC is a bit high as I'm being figuring out how to set it for my pool (moved from a ic-40 to an ic-60.

My water is excellent, super clear and no issues at all.
FC 10
PH 7.7
TA 100
CH 425
CYA 50 (I think it's actually closer to 60 I had to rush through this in the morning today)
Salt 4000
Fwiw I also tested for phosphates and that is zero.

All tests tone with Taylor and tf test kits.

I got a 42,000 gallon pool. Pool math says that 70lbs of boric acid should yield a ppm of borates of 35. I ordered 70 lbs of boric acid granular form from duda energy.

First of, does adding 70 lbs seem about right for my pool?

Second, should I try to lower the TA a bit before I add the boric acid?
My TA has been real stable around 100 for about a year or two and it's a real pain to lower it, but it you recommend that I take it down further first then I'll do it.

My objective is to stabilize PH so it increases more slowly. I hear the borax also makes the water silkier which is a nice secondary benefit.

Thoughts?

I don't really have a great way to test Bor levels once I've added it so i want to get a second set of eyes on it before I charge ahead. I have a automatic pool cover so once it's in the water it stays, I don't get diluted by rain and I have a bit of evap but not that much.

Thanks!

You amount seems about right...but I would hold off adding it.

I am a borates user. I would recommend that you figure out how to lower your TA first to the low end of the range for your pool (60). You may find that even with the borates, it does not slow the pH rise you expect. Just had another member with the same situation and confused why, even with borates, their pH continued to rise..it was because their TA was high like yours.

You might notice the instructions before adding borates to lower TA the low end of the range...for this reason.

You can roll your own drop test...very accurate. I would recommend a smart stir for this test...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.