Aug 19, 2022
California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,

I plan to add borates for the first time, and I have a couple questions before doing this:

1) Does adding borates affect CYA? I'm going to use boric acid granules (technical grade) from DudaDiesel.
2) Do I add boric acid at all once? My borate level is currently 17, and pool math says I need 47 lbs of boric acid.
3) Does the boric acid get broadcasted over the deep end of the pool or across the whole pool?

I just added muriatic acid to lower my TA to 60 and pH to 7.2. I plan to test borates one last time and then add the boric acid.

Thanks for the help!

Hi, I added boric acid over the weekend and have a couple more questions -- thanks in advance!

1) Should I attempt to raise the current pH 7.2 since it's on the low end? Prior to adding boric acid, I lowered the pH to 7.2 to get the TA to 60.
2) If yes to #1, does it matter if I use the waterfall or borax to raise the pH level?
3) If I went past the recommended borate level of 50, is it still safe to swim? I just tested borates using the LaMotte test strips, and I find the colors for 50 and 80 to be incredibly similar. The test strip looked slightly darker than the 50 level, so I hope I didn't overshoot it too much.

Thanks again for all the help!

Where in 'California' is this pool. The fill water you use directly impacts your TA and pH management.

OK -- do you have 'hard' water? I would think you do. Do you know the TA and CH of the water you use to fill the pool due to evaporation?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So your TA will be rising whenever you add water due to evaporation.

No need to mess with your pH or TA in the pool right now. They will both rise naturally in due time.

Reactions: PoolStored
I love that I added borates, but it doesn't seem to be slowing the pH increase. Could this be because we have hard water?

So far, I've needed to add acid about once a month (same as last year). Here's my log:
  • 4/23: added borates to 50 level
  • 5/19: added acid
  • 6/03: adding acid
Here are my numbers again straight from the tap:
  • TA 130
  • CH 90
Thanks for the help!

Once a month? I Add acid every two or three days. The TA you show is high. pH rise will be quick. Test your pH every week, at least.

Once a month? I Add acid every two or three days. The TA you show is high. pH rise will be quick. Test your pH every week, at least.
Yes, I test my pH every day. I haven’t had to add acid more than once a month because pH and TA is in range.

And just to clarify, the TA 130 was testing water from my tap and not the pool. Pool TA today is 80.

I love that I added borates, but it doesn't seem to be slowing the pH increase.

I haven’t had to add acid more than once a month because pH and TA is in range.
Once a month is cake. Many members have to add acid every couple days.

Your low number of additions is because of your low TA in the pool.

Ok, not sure what a low number or high number is because I just started taking care of my pool last year. I thought one of the advantages of adding borates was needing to adjust pH less. That’s why I’m asking. Thanks!

Ok, not sure what a low number or high number is because I just started taking care of my pool last year. I thought one of the advantages of adding borates was needing to adjust pH less. That’s why I’m asking. Thanks!
It does, but you have about the slowest pH rise around. Because of the TA. People that have a high rate of pH rise (adding acid every couple days) see benefit.

Did you manage this pool water chemistry last year during high evaporation times? Not sure where in California you are, but high evaporation times are upon us now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.