Reading the recommendations on TFP makes me concerned pool care is too difficult.

Thanks again, guys. I got the TF-100 and speed stirrer ordered. I also downloaded the Pool Math app. Once the kit comes in, I'll take some quiet time to read the instructions, and then give it a try. I'll keep you posted.

And to clarify the return...is that the same as the two "auxiliary" jets I asked the pool guy about and he showed me how to turn them on? They originally weren't on, and only the spa waterfall was on.
Our pump will run our spa waterfall, sunshelf fountain, and three pool return jets at the same time. You may want to keep those "auxiliary jets" turned on. They circulate the water and help move the water to the skimmer.

Reactions: CraigChing
I love the cake analogy! 👍😀
Somebody else also had a good one about pool care being like taking care of your teeth.

If you do the required regular stuff - flossing and brushing - you likely will have no issues. If you ignore your teeth, or do the incorrect stuff, you will then have root canals, fillings, etc.

Do the required regular TFP stuff to your pool, and you will not have major problems down the road.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hey Nicole and Welcome !!

Click this link to see how stupid easy it all is. 👇

Reactions: NicoleIvy2004
Welcome to TFP.

I think that pool care is easy. I spend <5 minutes a day. Maybe a bit to skim when I take cover off to swim.

I think that it takes a bit of your time to learn and understand what to do. Once you've learned it, it is definitely NOT difficult.

Think of it like riding a bike, or learning to ice skate. A bit of time to learn, but once you've got it, you never forget how to ride a bike or skate.

Reactions: texasAUtiger
I want to try and save money by taking this over myself.
You'll save money doing it this way by not paying for the unnecessary labor, as well as whatever weird chemicals he might want to dump.

If you're ever concerned about whether this is the right way to go, you can always call and hire back the pool guy. But do this first: Take a photo of your pool now, day and night (with the lights on) from several angles. Then try our way of things for a few weeks and take more photos. Also navigate over to the "show us your TFP pool" type threads... this REALLY works, and it's REALLY not that hard to do. You're in the right place, and there's TONS of folks who have this method down like the back of their hand, and there's always somebody to help or listen or a shoulder to cry on if the water gets a little cloudy... and a simple method for getting back clear again that won't poison your pool or turn your hair green.

YOU GOT THIS THING, and we can't wait to see pictures of your paradise...

my pool chemical costs went from around $200 per fortnight at pool store to around $200 per year
(always with salt chlorinator)
edit- always a salt chlorinator
but pool store kept selling me chemicals i didn't need
when they had me add soda ash one week and then acid the next, i realized i was being scammed

Last edited:
my pool chemical costs went from around $200 per fortnight at pool store to around $200 per year
with salt chlorinator

Why were your chemicals costing you $400/month? You're saying you went from "regular" chlorine pool to a salt-water pool and your costs went down? But at $400/month, that sounds insane and a *lot* more than paying for a pool guy. I just don't understand how that kind of cost works/happens.

I just don't understand how that kind of cost works/happens
Most customers just blindly pay for what they are told they need over and over when all they usually needed was dirt cheap liquid chlorine / bleach. So the costs tanked when @aussieta took over testing and adding only what was truely needed. This story echos here many times a day. Most of us got here specifically for this reason.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Most customers just blindly pay for what they are told they need over and over when all they usually needed was dirt cheap liquid chlorine / bleach. So the costs tanked when @aussieta took over testing and adding only what was truely needed. This story echos here many times a day. Most of us got here specifically for this reason.
Ah ok, that makes more sense. The way he typed it seemed to come across that his costs went from that high to very little when he converted to a salt-water pool (is that what is meant by "salt chlorinator"?)

The way he typed it seemed to come across that his costs went from that high to very little when he converted to a salt-water pool (is that what is meant by "salt chlorinator"?)
The SWG / salt water chlorine generator adds the chlorine for you. The purchase price is upfront and then for the next 5-7 years you don’t have any chlorine costs. The exorbitant costs were no doubt just using pool store potions. Going to liquid chlorine alone would have cut them by 90% and paying upfront for the SWG lowered the weekly costs even further. (y)

Reactions: NicoleIvy2004
Just realized a new question... I'm not sure that I have my pool gallon size correct. The pool itself is oval-ish. One end is slighly wider than the other end. So it's about 30'L and width is 12' and 15'. But then I forgot to include the water from the spill-over spa. Do I just measure that and add to my estimate of 15,000G pool?
I think my TF-100 kit should arrive today so I'll have the weekend to play with it.

Reactions: TexEdmond
Do I just measure that and add to my estimate of 15,000G pool?
Guesstimate the dimensions the best you can for both the pool and spa. Average width X average length X average depth (water height, not wall height) + the spa. That will be your approximate cubic feet and multiply that X 7.481 gallons.

Plug that into pool math and when you dose you will will be close once the chlorine has 30 mins to mix. You can fine tune the gallons from there if you are +\- a FC.

*also keep in mind that at any given time you will be up 2 inches (+400 gallons) from rain or down 2 inches (-400 gallons) from evaporation.

The 16.5k (ish) gallons is the important part. The +\- a few hundred gallons won’t matter. :)

Get yourself a automatic pool cleaner. That will save you a lot of time and you won't need to pay anyone to come and do weekly cleanings. You can get a good one between $700-$800. If you are paying someone weekly after a couple of months, you will start saving money. The cleaner can last between 4-5 years or longer depending on many factors. Most have warranty for 2 years though.

Get yourself a automatic pool cleaner. That will save you a lot of time and you won't need to pay anyone to come and do weekly cleanings. You can get a good one between $700-$800. If you are paying someone weekly after a couple of months, you will start saving money. The cleaner can last between 4-5 years or longer depending on many factors. Most have warranty for 2 years though.
I'm in charge of the pool. So it's screened, has SWG, and we have a robot cleaner. Those, plus TFP methods and support, have led to easy, inexpensive pool maintenance. Hubby does help when it's time to clean the filter or SWG.

You’ve already received lots of great encouragement. I’m also a pool newbie, ours was built this past June.
I expected pool care to be complex and time consuming. I expected to spend time each day testing, measuring and mixing chemicals, working on the equipment, and generally “operating” the pool. As a DIY kind of guy, I was looking forward to it😊
I found TFP and started following the recommendations. Now, pool care is boring. I look forward to Saturday mornings when I do my full set of tests. The numbers never change. It’s a big day for me when I get to tweak the knob on the chlorine generator
With nothing to fix, mix, or add, I end up just spending my time floating in the pool.
I’m being a little tongue in cheek here, but I really think you’ll be surprised how easy it is
H

It’s a big day for me when I get to tweak the knob on the chlorine generator
OMG same !!!!

Weekly test : ok
Weekly test : ok
Weekly test : ok. *sigh*. Thanks awsome pool, I guess.

Weekly test : A tad high/low FC requiring *1* push of a button.
:party::party::party::party::party:

Reactions: TexEdmond
Ah ok, that makes more sense. The way he typed it seemed to come across that his costs went from that high to very little when he converted to a salt-water pool (is that what is meant by "salt chlorinator"?)

In the long run the cost difference between a pool with a salt water chlorine generator (SWCG) and a pool using bleach (liquid chlorine) is pretty minimal.

With a SWGC you have to buy the entire unit, pay for the electricity to run it, and eventually you have to replace the generator cell in the unit.

With liquid chlorine you have to keep buying it.

There are people here who have run detailed analyses on the cost of both, taking into account inflation, seasonal variability, etc. In every one I have seen the total costs are very close.

SWGC has a lot of up front costs, then minimal running costs, and then a relatively high cost when you need to get a new cell. Liquid chlorine spreads the cost over time.

Both methods are a LOT cheaper than buying "magic pool store chemicals"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.