Reading the recommendations on TFP makes me concerned pool care is too difficult.

So I guess I'm asking, do people just wait for things like FC to reach a point that Pool Math does tell you how much to add?
Or do they add FC *before* Pool Math is unhappy and tells you the amount? And if adding before Pool Math is triggered to tell you how much to add, how do you know how much to add? (I hope my questions make sense. lol
With regular testing you will know your current trends are it changes dramatically from low FC demand early/late season to much more in the peak season. Month to month you’ll see an increase or decrease but at any give moment you’ll just know that you’ve been consuming 3ppm (?) daily that week and expect the same for the near future.

Once you are at one with your pool all zen like, you can just add the expected dose of FC that day and test every other day to verify you’re still on track.

You can also double dose to get you that day and the next if you’re going to be busy. After a few experiences you’ll know if it’s enough or if you needed a 2.25 X dose because it burns off a little faster at higher %s.

You’ll get there. You’re doing GREAT !!

Reactions: NicoleIvy2004
how do I determine how much liquid chlorine to add to reach that range? The Pool Math app currently does not tell me because it is happy with the current number.
If you've got the total accurate volume of your pool in the settings of the app, try tapping the FC section in the overview. It'll give you the option of setting a target FC level or even a slider to do SLAM for your latest measured level of CYA. it's ok to have a FC level that's slightly higher than the recommended range as long as you're not going to SLAM levels.

GREAT JOB!!!!

Reactions: NicoleIvy2004
Good morning! Ok, so my pool guy did his last visit, and now I will truly be on my own. I did another test, and I have another question (and I apologize if this has been answered). If something, like my FC, is still within ideal range, but getting closer to the lower end of the range, what do I do? I notice that the Pool Math app only tells me how much of something to add if I'm getting *really* close to outside ideal ranges.

But how do I know how much of FC (or anything else I suppose) to add to *maintain* the ideal range rather than wait for it to go outside the range and the app then tell me amounts?

As you can see from my screenshot and most recent log, I have some adjusting in a few areas to do today after work. I do feel like a novice chemist. :geek:
Nicole, It is best if you test daily and add chlorine to get you back to the top of the recommended range. You can put your target into Pool Math after clicking on FC from the overview. Just enter the top of the range as your target. It will tell you what to add. By doing this, you will keep your self "far away from algae." You don't have to let it get to bottom of range before you react. My target is 7 to 9, min 5. I raise to 9 daily. My absolute worst day of the summer, hot, sun, swimmers, I lost 3.5ppm. Starting at 9ppm, this would put me at 5.5, still above minimum. Keeping yourself at top of range, you will not smell it (chlorine smell), you will not feel it (itchy), and you will avoid algae because it is balanced with your CYA level.

Reactions: Newdude
+1. There is leeway on the high side of target range all the way up to SLAM level. (40% of you CYA) There is roughly 1 day of leeway below target range.

An event like a storm, high UV day or a get together could eat that 1 day buffer in much less than a day. Or there is a dance recital tomorrow and by the time you get ice cream after and come home spent, you’ll skip the pool care. (Ask me how I know :ROFLMAO:).

It’s all personal opinion of course, But I prefer a 2 day buffer for some wiggle room. That target changes throughout the season as the demand isn’t as high early/late, but with your regular testing you’ll just know that you were consuming 3(?) ppm a day that week and can expect similar the next 2 days.

But I prefer a 2 day buffer for some wiggle room.
I don't know exactly what happened this year but I was behind-the-curve keeping my FC at a stable ppm, I suspect I was getting varying strength LC. So I just dumped in enough to have a 3-4 ppm buffer above the max target value, then I didn't have to worry that I would go below target - I haven't had algae for a Long time and don't wish to revisit that.

Reactions: Newdude
Good morning! Ok, so my pool guy did his last visit, and now I will truly be on my own. I did another test, and I have another question (and I apologize if this has been answered). If something, like my FC, is still within ideal range, but getting closer to the lower end of the range, what do I do? I notice that the Pool Math app only tells me how much of something to add if I'm getting *really* close to outside ideal ranges.

But how do I know how much of FC (or anything else I suppose) to add to *maintain* the ideal range rather than wait for it to go outside the range and the app then tell me amounts?

As you can see from my screenshot and most recent log, I have some adjusting in a few areas to do today after work. I do feel like a novice chemist. :geek:
At the very bottom of this page, under "Quick Navigation" is "Old PoolMath Webpage".
Plug in your numbers ... Size, Now, Target, Bleach & Muriatic Acid concentrations.
I use it all the time. Very handy and fast.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.