Re-plumbing Thoughts...

May 15, 2016
Damascus/MD
I convinced myself I'm going with an SWG this season....and at the tail end of the last season, I realized my heater had been plumbed in backward as well! Not the end of the world, but...there is limited space already and I'm thinking a replumb would make room for all the new stuff and fix my reversed heating issue. Reversed plumbing isn't the end of the world, just means I can't set an accurate temperature for the heater (the handful times we use it) we just crank it and let it go. Bye bye propane :)

I've always thought the previous plumbing was a little clunky...and might have to do some shenanigans to straighten it out but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions to make it play a little nicer, possibly reduce and unnecessary kinks/etc. Admittedly replumbing the heater correctly makes it silly routing...but if I'm in there tearing it up for the SWG, Anode, Check Valve, etc - I should probably just get it right....right?!

Yellow arrows indicate what the header flow should be - red arrows are current flow.

Should I even worry about the diverter valves and just got straight from the filter to the inlet?? We do only use the heater a dozen or so times a year, so while it's not in use we diver valves and decrease pressure on the system which I think is probably good.

Or is it as simple as creating an "X" of the pipes (verticle ones) just at the header for the heater and adding in extensions/cutting out the 2-inch pipe there to make it work? I'm thinking that is my best spot to put my SWG anyway now - so it shouldn't be too much work. Otherwise, I think there is a wacky loop at the return I think I'd have to make to have it work right!

You really shouldn't be using a heater in an enclosed space like that it is a safety issue. Is that a detached building? Anyway I love re-plumbs if gives you the chance to do everything right. I am doing one next week for my neighbor. You have an Interesting plumbing setup! Let me know if you want me to drop by and take a look.

Check the manual about enclosed spaces

If you don't have to move the heater then I would cut the 90's off in the bottom if the heater and glue new ones on and make a "x" with those two pipes to get them to the right spots, easy peezy.

Yes you need the diverter, heaters are a weak spot for bad chemistry and the diverter takes care of that.

Your thinking of a cross "+" it's a more rare of a fitting but still stocked

There's a red ball valve in the bottom of your pic, try to replace that with a jandy neverlube

You really shouldn't be using a heater in an enclosed space like that it is a safety issue. Is that a detached building? Anyway I love re-plumbs if gives you the chance to do everything right. I am doing one next week for my neighbor. You have an Interesting plumbing setup! Let me know if you want me to drop by and take a look.
Oh yeah - it's not ideal...it is in an attached building with proper venting (roof chimney and 2 windows/door are open when I do run it) - from what I can tell it passed inspection when it was built...but there are a LOT of things in this house that supposedly passed inspection that are super suspect...We've been in the house for 3 years and I found out I had a load bearing refrigerator when we redid our kitchen :)

Yeah - plumbing is definitely interesting - it's hard to see the hot mess over by the polaris...but there is quite the cluster of valves and cut pipes that looks like at one point they had solar/roof heating...a water slide (that I think the company closing the pool when we bought the house didn't know how to clear and pipes are busted, and a hose bib from the PVC (!?). If I get stuck - I might actually give you a call - definitely nice to have a fellow TFP'er close by. I used to work for a pool company in AACounty during my college years on summer break - so I'm kind of comfortable doing most things but always good to have someone as a second pair of eyes and make sure I'm not totally crazy. I don't love any of the pool companies I talked to when I moved here.

Reactions: splashpad
If you don't have to move the heater then I would cut the 90's off in the bottom if the heater and glue new ones on and make a "x" with those two pipes to get them to the right spots, easy peezy.
That is kind of what I was thinking - glad that is what you think as well!
There's a red ball valve in the bottom of your pic, try to replace that with a jandy neverlube
Oh yeah - I might just take care of that this round of fixes..it is hard to tell but that whole section is a hot mess...when I bought the house the hayward valve on the suction side was so bad the realtor was like "oh cool, the pool has air jets in it?" Ah...realtors. I have rebuilt a few of those crappy things so I knew it was easy enough....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.