Raypak Propane Heater Installation

coolinthepool

May 8, 2019
Fishers, IN
Hello, all! I just ordered the Raypak Digital Propane Gas Pool Heater 300K BTU 014980, which should arrive either late this week or early next week. I ordered the unit from Pool Supply Unlimited, which seemed to have it for a good price. Slightly cheaper than a local store, even after freight shipping. This was the biggest one that fit inside my budget, though I was very tempted to go with the 400k after reading so many positive things about it. That being said, I'm thrilled to have a heater at all and get swimming earlier and longer.

My house is already on propane, so I have a large 500 gallon tank about forty feet from the pool. I have the propane company coming out next week to run a 1" line. The bummer is that I already have a line ran out there, but it's only 3/4". I think it's intended for a gas grill. The instructions show that I need a 1" line for the length I'm running. So that part will be taken care of by the propane company, I think it's $5/foot for getting the new line run. Not a terrible cost, since I won't have to do it myself.

These Heater Installation Instructions are a bit intimidating! :-o Has anyone installed one of these and recorded themselves or found a good video guide or more concise instructions? I'd appreciate something a bit more accessible. I'm planning to take a few evenings to do it, but am a bit intimidated so far. That being said, I have five days to go through and translate that manual into actual instructions and to get together a parts list.

For now, I'm ripping out a bush or two that's covering my pump, filter, and HVAC. I need more room to expand the pad for the heater. I'll lay down pavers for it.

Thanks!

Note the External Auxiliary Bypass Valve on page 23. Your signature does not have pump details. Instead of the way they show it you should connect a bypass using a 3 way Jandy valve on the heater inlet side that connects by a T to the outlet side. Put a check valve in the outlet between the T and the heater.

That will let you bypass the heater partially or fully if your pH should get below 7 or your heater springs a leak or needs maintenance.

Note the External Auxiliary Bypass Valve on page 23. Your signature does not have pump details. Instead of the way they show it you should connect a bypass using a 3 way Jandy valve on the heater inlet side that connects by a T to the outlet side. Put a check valve in the outlet between the T and the heater.

That will let you bypass the heater partially or fully if your pH should get below 7 or your heater springs a leak or needs maintenance.

Oh! Thanks so much for that information! I wouldn’t have caught that in my first pass.

The 3/4 line can still be used if you are able to isolate it from the regulator. Have it re connected to the high pressure side of the tank and buy another regulator and install it just right before the heater. Might save you some money and that is how i have it plumed.

The 3/4 line can still be used if you are able to isolate it from the regulator. Have it re connected to the high pressure side of the tank and buy another regulator and install it just right before the heater. Might save you some money and that is how i have it plumed.

Now that’s interesting! I may look into that... I’m half tempted to hire a professional to install it.

Hello, all! I just ordered the Raypak Digital Propane Gas Pool Heater 300K BTU 014980, which should arrive either late this week or early next week. I ordered the unit from Pool Supply Unlimited, which seemed to have it for a good price. Slightly cheaper than a local store, even after freight shipping. This was the biggest one that fit inside my budget, though I was very tempted to go with the 400k after reading so many positive things about it. That being said, I'm thrilled to have a heater at all and get swimming earlier and longer.

My house is already on propane, so I have a large 500 gallon tank about forty feet from the pool. I have the propane company coming out next week to run a 1" line. The bummer is that I already have a line ran out there, but it's only 3/4". I think it's intended for a gas grill. The instructions show that I need a 1" line for the length I'm running. So that part will be taken care of by the propane company, I think it's $5/foot for getting the new line run. Not a terrible cost, since I won't have to do it myself.

These Heater Installation Instructions are a bit intimidating! :-o Has anyone installed one of these and recorded themselves or found a good video guide or more concise instructions? I'd appreciate something a bit more accessible. I'm planning to take a few evenings to do it, but am a bit intimidated so far. That being said, I have five days to go through and translate that manual into actual instructions and to get together a parts list.

For now, I'm ripping out a bush or two that's covering my pump, filter, and HVAC. I need more room to expand the pad for the heater. I'll lay down pavers for it.

Thanks!

Hi @coolinthepool - what did you ultimately decide about self-installing the Raypak propane heater? I just made the same Internet purchase for the 105K BTU version (the 106A) and I'm also planning to install myself; and also feeling a bit underskilled for the task. How did it go? Did you find resources? (And is it still kicking two years later?)

Hi @coolinthepool - what did you ultimately decide about self-installing the Raypak propane heater? I just made the same Internet purchase for the 105K BTU version (the 106A) and I'm also planning to install myself; and also feeling a bit underskilled for the task. How did it go? Did you find resources? (And is it still kicking two years later?)
Hey! Sorry, just seeing this. I need to fix my notifications!

So, it's still kicking very well! I just fired it up for the first time and it fired after about 30 seconds of ignition. I initially ran the PVC poorly, but that's really the only mistake afaik. I made sure it was level, and I had my propane provider run the propane line (which was the only possibility here). That wasn't expensive though, cost like, $75 or something (was by the foot). Right now, my pools is at 85 and the kids are splashing away!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.