Raypak Heater Help!

Does your pump not have a bond wire? If it does, you can run a wire from there over to the heater.

Not so sure that is the only thing as I come across many units not bonded and I don't see the issue you are having.

There is not a wire on my pump. I agree, I think leaving water in the heater for 2 months while we waited for someone to fix an underground pipe leak is the culprit :( … I had also raised the chlorine to 8ppm since I couldn’t run my equipment but I did have to run it 1 month in for American Leak Detection to locate the leak. I believe that is when the highly chlorinated water went into the heater. I’ve learned my lesson about draining the equipment any time I’m waiting for a repair! Question for you, if my equipment is not bonded, does that mean someone could be electrocuted in the pool? This pool has been used for over 40 years so I’m starting to wonder if my understanding of the term “bonded” is incorrect as there have been no reports of electrocution.

Chlorine does not harm heater components. Low pH does.
Right, but from what I’m told, high chlorine has very low PH, so if 8 to 10ppm of CL were sitting stagnant in my heater, wouldn’t that do the same thing? I tested Ph weekly throughout the 2 months my equipment was off and only needed to make miner changes in my pool to keep that balance but since I didn’t run the equipment that means highly chlorinated water, which someone said has a PH of 2, would seem to be the issue. If it’s not, then I’m not sure what it was since I am very on top of my chemical balancing.

I know of a pool owner not my client who lost a brand new 1 year old NG 400k btu heater to a dumb handyman installer. There was a tablet chlorinator installed without the check valve cause he thought they are stupid and just (his words) make problems. Well in under a year there was a heater leak and a plumber was called out to assist and repair. Upon inspection the heat exchanger was leaking which meant unbutton the heater for a new warranted replacement. The manufacturer was called ,they requested pictures and pictures. In the end of the day the customer paid for a new heater since the installation was not done to manufacturer specs and voided the warranty. Not having the CV in place caused acid migration back to the heater. Chlorine isn't the issue it's the acid.

I had a pool company install this and they also thought there was no need for the CV. I’m considering taking the chlorinator out and just floating chlorine until I get an SWG. Putting daily liquid chlorine is just not doable for me with the job I have. On the other hand, if I keep the chlorinator and install a CV would that do the trick or would it still have potential to go back into heater? Thoughts?

I had a pool company install this and they also thought there was no need for the CV. I’m considering taking the chlorinator out and just floating chlorine until I get an SWG. Putting daily liquid chlorine is just not doable for me with the job I have. On the other hand, if I keep the chlorinator and install a CV would that do the trick or would it still have potential to go back into heater? Thoughts?
The CV is for that purpose and won't or shouldn't let the migration happen.

Oh really?!? What if I install check valve? If no chlorinator then what do you suggest as alternative?
The check valve that comes with that chlorinator that goes on the bottom is really cheap. It half works when they are new. Change it out. The black 90 elbo that threads into the bottom of the chlorinator is the check valve. Try a straight line check valve on the yellow or black line. Also replumb that black line to the other side of the yellow line going back to the pool. You are pumping chlorine from that chlorinator directly into that heater some how.

the pipe with the yellow line plumbed in what happens to all that water when the pump shuts off? My guess it dumps back down into the heater and just sits there full of high doses of chlorine. Relocated those two chlorinator lines past that goose neck after the heater.

Hello,
My pool guy just got the temp sensor in from Raypak and replaced the temp sensor and now getting the following errors: “Sensor Failure, and “Sensor Open.” He says he has no idea why this is happening and it’s been over a week that he claims he can’t get ahold of Raypak. Any ideas what could be causing error codes? Could it be a bad sensor?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello,
My pool guy just got the temp sensor in from Raypak and replaced the temp sensor and now getting the following errors: “Sensor Failure, and “Sensor Open.” He says he has no idea why this is happening and it’s been over a week that he claims he can’t get ahold of Raypak. Any ideas what could be causing error codes? Could it be a bad sensor?

Could be a bad sensor or it was connected incorrectly.

Did he check the sensor resistance and continuity with a multimeter?

Connect a 10K resistor in place of the sensor and the heater should read 76F. If not then the board or wiring is bad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.