Raypak 406 SW open rollout

Jun 8, 2014
Rogers, AR
This is the second time it has happened when it is really windy and the heater is running. The pool company fixed it under warranty the first time. It finally warmed up enough and the family wants to swim and sure enough, it is terribly windy and I get the error code. My pool guy had told me to order the part off of Amazon and fix it myself so I wouldn't have to pay him to come and fix it in the future. He never gave me any info or showed me what to to do.

Now he retired and my pool company is in disarray for whatever reason and don't know when they can even get here to fix it or if anyone they have working for them even can fix it. Can someone please tell me what part I need and how I would go about fixing this thing. I know when he fixed it the last time it only took a few minutes so it can't be that hard can it?

Thnx,

Chris

The flame rollout switch is designed to protect the heater against a overheated furnace/stack. Do you know if your rollout switch is the resettable type? If it’s the blowout type, then you’ll need to replace it.

I found this part number in the Raypak manual and looked it up on Amazon -

Raypack 006035F Roll Out Sensor Low Nox https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HEAS3PI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3PvPCb8D29Z8R

As @kadavis said, you probably need the high wind assembly to keep this from happening. Raypak’s are NOT forced air heaters and so the fuel/air mixture is important. If it’s not right, the flame will burn too hot and you’ll keep blowing the rollout switch.

Thnx, We don't have a stack and it is always windy here (today we had a wind alert). I asked the pool company about it last year after it happened and they said don't worry about one. I am reconsidering this idea because this is always so windy here.

My hubby figured out the part and we ordered one.

Thnx, We don't have a stack and it is always windy here (today we had a wind alert). I asked the pool company about it last year after it happened and they said don't worry about one. I am reconsidering this idea because this is always so windy here.

My hubby figured out the part and we ordered one.

What’s required by code and what works can often be different. The Raypak installation manual clearly states that, in a properly setup outdoor installation, only the standard 2ft vent pipe is “required”. However, the manual does state that environmental conditions might require the use of the outdoor stack kit (sold separately and the P/N is in the manual). So, even though your pool builder says “they don’t worry about it”, that just means they are going to install only what they are required to. But, your heater clearly has a problem with high winds and you’re having to replace a $30 component every time it happens. So what’s required to get your system to operate without failure is different than what’s simply the default installation.

I say buy the outdoor vent stack kit yourself and install it. It’s just a little bit of sheet metal work and all the parts are included to make it work. It’ll probably take you an hour of your time and a trip (or two) to the hardware store to do it yourself. Then, hopefully, you’ll never have another RO sensor blow on you again.

I have the pool company coming on another matter next week and I am going to talk to them about installing a wind stack.

Another question... This is the second time it has happened and last year it was the same scenario. We were heating the water from 58 degrees to 90. Once it gets there we leave it set all summer and never have this open rollout issue. Even with all the wind we have. Someone asked about being against a flat wall and yes, it is on a corner against a flat wall.
Could it be that we are pushing the heater too hard? When the heater was installed they installed a large gas line and two off switches on the line. The gas company put in a small commercial meter and we are pulling 650,000 BTU's off the meter. It should be getting plenty of gas and the heater should handle it shouldn't it?

It sounds like a wind issue. I’d add the wind stack and see if it happens again.

Did your pool builder install the heater with the correct setbacks from the walls? The proper physical installation is detailed in the manual. When your husband replaces the switch, pull all the panels off the heater and give it a good look around. It should look fine.

I would say that trying to heat a pool from 58F all the way up to 90F is not a great idea. Check the Raypak manual but many heater makers tell you not to run the heater when the water temp is below 65F because of corrosive condensate that can form which can damage the heat exchanger. It’s typically not an issue with heating an attached spa because the water volume is so low that it heats up quickly. A pool, on the other hand, is a huge volume of water and it heats up very slowly. This means that the flue gases are colder longer and can condense more easily.

If you're near a tall wall and the wind is blowing directly into the wall, you can get a downdraft that is strong enough to push the flames into the cabinet.

With your windy conditions, you should have gotten a heater that uses a powered fan.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Raypak does sell a powered exhaust fan kit for their heaters. It’s designed for unusual venting setups such as long horizontal stack runs or other such circumstances. If the wind stack doesn’t solve the problem, then you might need to consider adding the powered exhaust fan.

Unfortunately this problem is going to need some trial & error (& money spent) to come up with the proper solution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, thnx for all the info. I have the pool company coming and will talk to them about installing a stack. They are actually coming because of the heater installation. I was not happy with it, to begin with and now it has settled and is even worse. I am insisting they fix it under warranty since it was installed last May.

Raypak does sell a powered exhaust fan kit for their heaters. It’s designed for unusual venting setups such as long horizontal stack runs or other such circumstances. If the wind stack doesn’t solve the problem, then you might need to consider adding the powered exhaust fan.

Unfortunately this problem is going to need some trial & error (& money spent) to come up with the proper solution.
I am used to it:) I never get off on the easy, cheap route LOL

I have the 266 and ran it without problems last summer. I opened the pool stupid early this year and there seems to be more wind. I watched as the heater blew out and restarted a few times and it is entirely likely the same thing happened last summer only I wasn’t near the equipment to witness it. I’m thinking the high stack is almost necessary. My heater is fairly protected but wind manages to get in there. I will be ording the stack soon.

The rollout on mine is not resetable. It has a wax bridge that melts and once it does, it needs to be replaced. I gotta order one so that I have it here when it is needed.

There are “resettable” type RO sensors which are perfectly fine to use. The reason why they use the blow out type is to force people to be aware of the issue and get professional help in case the issue is more severe such as a plugged exchangers or dirty/clogged burners. They don’t want people mindlessly resetting the sensor and not fixing the underlying problem.

However, I would say that if your a conscientious person and you’re aware of the potential problems, then you could choose to replace the RO sensor with a resettable type as a matter of convenience so that you’re not having to wait for a shipment to arrive and/or paying $30 for a new one anytime the wind decides to blow. Though I would imagine that doing so would completely void any warranty and product liability as you are making a substantial change to the product.

Up to you....

Last edited:
You can reset or replace the switch but it doesn't fix the underlying problem.

This is something that the pool company needs to figure out and correct the design and installation problem.

Just resetting or replacing the switch is not an acceptable answer.

Contact Raypak to get their input on the situation.

Do you have a picture of the system?

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.