Raypak 266a propane: black smoke

The burners should face up. It's hard to tell in your video, at least with my old eyes. Are they in upside down? Never ran into that before, but it would be a problem.
It looks like there is a bit of roll-out. This is almost always a venting problem, when your burners are facing the right way. Is it very windy there? Could there be an obstruction in the top vent? Did you have it apart when you powerwashed?

This is interesting. I replaced the burners the same way they came apart, with the holes facing down. Seemed odd to me at the time. I take it the burner holes should be facing up - toward the exchanger.

I had everything except the exchanger removed for the powerwashing. Next time I'll remove that and do it away from the pad...makes a sooty mess. Just an afternoon sea breeze, maybe 10-15mph. No obstructions.

I know what you guys are thinking, how could someone be this dumb? Never having done one of these before, I take lotsa pix....and have the before and after pix. Left is just after removal of burner tray, note soot and bent burners. Right is cleaned up, straightened and, yea, following DIY rule to put back the same way it came apart. Though I pondered the burner holes facing down, but brushed it off as some mystical pool heater physics ? ? ?
before.jpgafter.jpg

Last edited:
I see. My eyes are as old as the rest of me, and even 2 corrective lenses (bifocals) arent enough anymore.
Those burners ARE in upside-down. What I thought were the perforations are the shadows of the wavy edge. It sucks to get old.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Flipped the burners to holes up and heater working like a champ, spa temp from 66 to 84 in about 15min. Absolutely no smoke. I guess that's why we didn't use it much, it just never worked right. It was installed as part of escrow, old heater was toast. Lesson learned, don't ALWAYS put stuff back the way it came apart.

Thx again for you guys helping me through this.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.