Rapid pH increase with SWCG

If the plaster was dissolving, there would be a lot of sand type aggregate that would be noticeable.

Maybe the plaster does not have any aggregate, or maybe not enough.

I think that it is probably 1 of 3 things:

1) Plaster dissolving.
2) Neighbors dumping in calcium hydroxide.
3) Aliens from planet Zoltar-7 dumping in calcium hydroxide.

Reactions: flippinGeo
If the plaster was dissolving, there would be a lot of sand type aggregate that would be noticeable.

Maybe the plaster does not have any aggregate, or maybe not enough.

I think that it is probably 1 of 3 things:

1) Plaster dissolving.
2) Neighbors dumping in calcium hydroxide.
3) Aliens from planet Zoltar-7 dumping in calcium hydroxide.
Lol. Definitely #3

Reactions: JamesW
Looks like it is still going up.

Are you getting plaster aggregate coming out?
You betcha! Unbelievable how bad my plaster is failing. My water feels like sticky slime and I can't keep the water balanced to save my life. It was 3 years since replaster in August. There is no way (I guess there is some way) this should be failing so bad at this point. I'm about to close it for the season, but I can't wait for next season (sarcasm).
IMG_1262.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
But in all seriousness, this issue did seem to come up this season with the addition of SWCG. I'm not saying it is the cause of the plaster dissolving, but adding salt to an already weak plaster probably didn't help. Of course I didn't know this until adding the SWCG. Adding borates was also a big mistake, only from the perspective of now I have to dose so much more acid to keep pH balanced.

During the off-season I'm going to research and purchase an acid feed system. At least this way I can avoid handling large quantities of MA every other day, and just as needed for the 4gal reservoir. Also reduce the large dosages and any damage that may be doing. I'm also going to do a full drain/fill to get rid of the borates. I didn't dose borax for the "feel". It was a failed attempt to throttle the pH changes. I also don't think I'll dose my CaCl to start since it will likely continue to rise throughout the season. The drain/fill may be annual reality for the time being.

And I guess I just try and keep it as balanced as I can until we can afford to replaster, or are forced to replaster. I may reach out to see if the plaster contractor will work with me, but I doubt it. It's too easy to claim user error when talking about pool chemistry, so proving that their installation was sub-par and faulty will likely be difficult.

@JamesW Thanks for all your help and diligence with this. I now kinda wish my only problem was the grackles!

Reactions: JamesW
Maybe if you could cut out a small sample patch of about 3" x 3", you might be able to send it to a plaster expert who can examine the plaster.

@onBalance would probably be able to recommend an expert that can look at the plaster.

Maybe check with the National Plasterers Council to see if they have any advice or if they can examine a sample or if they can recommend anyone who can examine a sample.

You betcha! Unbelievable how bad my plaster is failing. My water feels like sticky slime and I can't keep the water balanced to save my life. It was 3 years since replaster in August. There is no way (I guess there is some way) this should be failing so bad at this point. I'm about to close it for the season, but I can't wait for next season (sarcasm).
View attachment 379588
I have similar plaster particles in my robot bag as well but my plaster is 20 years old now. Yours should not be failing at 3 years. Now I’m scared to replaster.

Yeah @Bperry, If it aint broke don't fix it. One thing is for sure. Whenever I do replaster this thing again, I will be taking copious notes and documentation of every step so that if it does fail prematurely, I have a leg to stand on with a workmanship or materials claim.

@JamesW (or anyone else) - Follow up question... With this weak plaster, would it behoove me to go to Liquid Chlorine and eliminate the salt? Do we think that might help slow the deterioration?

@JamesW (or anyone else) - Follow up question... With this weak plaster, would it behoove me to go to Liquid Chlorine and eliminate the salt? Do we think that might help slow the deterioration?

I don't see how salt in the water is contributing to your plaster problems.

You would need to drain your pool and put fresh water in to get rid of the salt.

Every gallon of 12% liquid chlorine you add would add 10 ppm of salt. So you cannot get away from having salt in your pool water over time.

I don't see how salt in the water is contributing to your plaster problems.

You would need to drain your pool and put fresh water in to get rid of the salt.

Every gallon of 12% liquid chlorine you add would add 10 ppm of salt. So you cannot get away from having salt in your pool water over time.
I did plan on draining up opening next year, due to hardness levels. I knew that the only way to get rid of salt (or hardness) is to drain/fill.

I had read "somewhere" that "salt" pools tend to realize shortened plaster life (abrasive). Not stating it caused my problem, obviously signs of major failure in only 3 years, and 1 year with "salt". And I know salt on concrete for deicing also promotes deterioration.

Either way, anything I try now is just a having a bucket in a sinking boat. Only a matter of time before this thing goes under. I'll drain/fill next season and see how it goes. I was thinking about acid washing while it was drained, but thinking that might not be a great idea either with the state of the finish.

Any acid wash will further weaken your plaster.

I think draining or acid washing is not advisable given your situation.

If you want to lower your hardness do a no drain water exchange so you don't expose the plaster.

Reactions: flippinGeo
Unfortunately, I have to have water brought in. Our well water is contaminated with road deicer (Sodium Chloride) and quite acidic (4<>5). Fortunately, I've had to drain this bugger many times in the 8 years I've been here so I've gotten down and can time it to almost the moment the truck arrives (~6 hours).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.