Ran Pump for 14hrs

NobleLeafy

Nov 2, 2019
WA
Hi

I don’t know anything about pools and I am house sitting for three weeks. I was told to run the pump for 2hrs a day but accidentally ran it over night for approximately 14hrs. Now I’m concerned that I have done something to it as 14hrs is huge difference to 2hrs. Is it likely I’ve fried something?

Thanks

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Welcome! :wave: I doubt you did any damage to the pump. Mine runs 24 hrs straight. :) Perhaps the owners have a salt pool with a salt generator that works with the pump which is why they said only 2 hours? Or perhaps it's just getting cold and they are saving power? Either way, I'm sure the pump itself is fine.

PS - Your secret is safe with us on the internet. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Frank in FL

Dukebuk

Oct 3, 2018
Atlanta/ga
My pool guy said the best thing to do for the equipment is to run it constantly-it will last longer—instead of turning on/off. Though it isn’t good for utility bills.

mas985

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
My pool guy said the best thing to do for the equipment is to run it constantly-it will last longer—instead of turning on/off. Though it isn’t good for utility bills.
I disagree. If anything it is just the opposite. Both bearings and seals have lifetimes dictated by run-time and RPM (friction wear items) and those two items are usually the first to fail. The radial and axial loads for starting and stopping a centrifugal pump are not very high as torque is proportional to RPM^2 so isn't going to affect those two items very much.

Reactions: TBSNPS