Ran Pump for 14hrs

NobleLeafy

Nov 2, 2019
WA
Hi

I don’t know anything about pools and I am house sitting for three weeks. I was told to run the pump for 2hrs a day but accidentally ran it over night for approximately 14hrs. Now I’m concerned that I have done something to it as 14hrs is huge difference to 2hrs. Is it likely I’ve fried something?

Thanks

Welcome! :wave: I doubt you did any damage to the pump. Mine runs 24 hrs straight. :) Perhaps the owners have a salt pool with a salt generator that works with the pump which is why they said only 2 hours? Or perhaps it's just getting cold and they are saving power? Either way, I'm sure the pump itself is fine.

PS - Your secret is safe with us on the internet. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Frank in FL
My pool guy said the best thing to do for the equipment is to run it constantly-it will last longer—instead of turning on/off. Though it isn’t good for utility bills.
I disagree. If anything it is just the opposite. Both bearings and seals have lifetimes dictated by run-time and RPM (friction wear items) and those two items are usually the first to fail. The radial and axial loads for starting and stopping a centrifugal pump are not very high as torque is proportional to RPM^2 so isn't going to affect those two items very much.

Reactions: TBSNPS
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.