Ran Pump Dry...What likely happened?

May 7, 2012
Hi,

Long story short my variable speed 2.0hp Jandy ePump was left running dry at 1100rpms for several minutes(not positive how long exactly). I only realized it when I heard the controller beep and saw the lights were still lit up. I thought I shut the breaker off but it was the wrong one and the pump is so quiet plus I had the blower running to blow out the lines. I do not know what it sounded like before it shut it self off. What likely happened/was damaged? Does this pump have any sort of overheating/damage protection to prevent damage? Geez I just got this pump this year I hope it is ok. Thanks

Mike,

When a pump runs dry it generates a ton of heat. This heat can make the threaded connections to the input and output of the pump expand and leak. If really bad, it can cause the pump lid area to deform, again causing a leak.

A few minutes will not cause this, running dry for an extended period of time can.

I think because you were running the pump at a low rpm and hopefully for not a long time period, you should be ok..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.