Raleigh, NC - First time pool build - using my own design I created in Pool Studio - feedback request

Beautiful design!!! I agree about getting a few more quotes I’m building now in GA and my $130K included 2 Firebowls, 1000 sq ft of travertine, and all top of the line pentair equipment. I also got Pebble with Jewelscapes.

Good luck you’ve already made one perfect decision you’re asking questions on this Forum!!
Wow that sounds like its going to be really nice! I originally had 2 firebowls as well in my design but my wife hates the idea, I love them though.

I've spent the last few months watching many pool construction videos on youtube. I honestly was surprised by the cost for my pool. I had seen pool builds saying it cost upwards of $165,000 for really large pools, slides, travertine decks, swim up bars, etc. I know the area you are in can make a huge difference in cost but not what I was expecting for NC. The $137,000 doesn't include the pool deck. Thats just pool, spa, equipment. The electrical, gas, and pool deck and patio are part of the $209,000 estimate.

I'm not understanding how this will work...what are you paying the PB for? What if you don't pick a sub on his list? Could you have to pay more?
With this PB they quote you two costs upfront.

option 1) you act as your own GC, they handle the pool and plumbing. You coordinate the other sub-contractors for electrical, hardscaping, gas, mechanical, fencing etc. They will help you with it to a certain point but you are the project manager. You pay the sub-contractors directly.
option 2) Turn-key package where the PB is the GC/project manager. You pay them and they coordinate all the sub-contractors, handle paying the sub-contractors, etc. There is an additional 25% fee for all sub-contracted work (electrical, patio, fencing, etc). For my build this fee came out to about $20,000.

Two of my neighbors used the same PB a couple of years ago for their pools and they opted to act as their own GC as well. Besides saving some money, the other factor I had to consider is I wanted to use my own contractor for the patio/kitchen/pool deck which meant I have to go with option 1.

Reactions: TampaKathy
So glad you are taking the time to learn about all things about your pool build now so we can help you get what you NEED to make your pool care as Trouble Free as it can be.

Glad you enjoy it..........I can grow you rocks but don't even think about bring a living plant near me if you want it to live :roll: LOL
I'm glad I found this place when I did. When I started noticing a lot of searches to questions I had were links to here I thought maybe I should be asking questions here too. :LOL:

Haha, that sounds like my wife. I am the green thumb in our household. I grow a lot of our own vegetables too.

It is a builder's market right now. PBs have more work than they can do for the next year. That also relates to the subs as well. I will tell you there is a limited number of subs that are shared by most of the PBs in that area. That may make it hard for you to get subs to work on your project. Not saying don't do it. Just know it will be a bit longer and more work than it has been in the past.
I plan to use all their recommended sub contractors. Only change will be for the kitchen/patio since I have someone I've used for a lot of projects and many of the homes in my neighborhood have used him for their patios and outdoor kitchens. They did mention that even if I decide to act as my own GC that using their subs makes it easy because they already know how they work.

If you are acting as your own GC you should be able to select your own equipment package. Simply look at the PB as another source and see what he can provide at what cost compared to other channels.

Pay attention to support and warranty you will have depending on if you get the equipment from your PB or other places. If you have "professional installation" you can usually get a full warranty. Also pay attention to the additional warranty manufactures give if you qualify for their equipment bundle.

Welcome to Polytec Pools is a good source for equipment. If you order by phone it is not an internet sale and gets around that warranty restriction.

Reactions: golovko and kimkats
If you are acting as your own GC you should be able to select your own equipment package. Simply look at the PB as another source and see what he can provide at what cost compared to other channels.

Pay attention to support and warranty you will have depending on if you get the equipment from your PB or other places. If you have "professional installation" you can usually get a full warranty. Also pay attention to the additional warranty manufactures give if you qualify for their equipment bundle.

Welcome to Polytec Pools is a good source for equipment. If you order by phone it is not an internet sale and gets around that warranty restriction.
I started looking at the Polytec link to get an idea of costs so the first thing I looked for was LED bubblers since that was something the PB quoted me on. I was surprised to see they're only $420 Brilliant Wonders LED Color Light Bubbler 100' Cord - Concrete/Gunite Pools What the PB had quoted me was around $2500 each. Could that be factoring in install costs or is there a brand they're using that costs $2500 for the hardware?

I started looking at the Polytec link to get an idea of costs so the first thing I looked for was LED bubblers since that was something the PB quoted me on. I was surprised to see they're only $420 Brilliant Wonders LED Color Light Bubbler 100' Cord - Concrete/Gunite Pools What the PB had quoted me was around $2500 each. Could that be factoring in install costs or is there a brand they're using that costs $2500 for the hardware?

Welcome to PB pricing. I am sure if you asked your PB if he would install the bubblers you provide he would tell you it will be $2,000 for the installation, plumbing, and wiring. His pricing is for more then just the hardware.

Reactions: golovko
Welcome to PB pricing. I am sure if you asked your PB if he would install the bubblers you provide he would tell you it will be $2,000 for the installation, plumbing, and wiring. His pricing is for more then just the hardware.
I thought it was odd because they quoted me $250/each for the bubblers with no LEDs and $350 to pre-plumbing for the feature. But when I asked about the LED variation they told me the feature itself is $2500 each up from $250.

I thought it was odd because they quoted me $250/each for the bubblers with no LEDs and $350 to pre-plumbing for the feature. But when I asked about the LED variation they told me the feature itself is $2500 each up from $250.

I can't explain what the PB was thinking but you need to dig into the details. Do you need a transformer for the LED? How are you controlling the LED light? Electrical work is now needed in addition to plumbing.

You can ask a builder to breakdown his charges. Some builders just throw out numbers. They can make alot of their profit on the add-ons and scope changes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was thinking 6' 6" mainly for jumping in from the spa and also I'm 6', no diving though. Wanted just a little extra depth than my height.

I had reached out to several PBs several times, left voice mails, emails, etc and got no call backs. The PB I am working with now has been in business in the area for several decades. They also built two of my neighbors pools (vinyl) a few years ago. They seem to be one of the more well known in the Raleigh area. After I decided on concrete, I did reach out to other places again a few times but no call backs. Would love to have something to compare to since it is much higher than I imagined a pool build would cost.

I did only limit my search to Raleigh PBs (some national brands with independantly operated local branches). I did not think to look at the Charlotte area though. What I had found is many were limiting their new construction service area to a certain distance from their office.
What I did while searching for PBs was compare names in reviews to the named licensee. I assume NC has a public license registry. Look up the companies and see who owns the license, then see if that's someone who is active in the company. It's not a surefire method or anything, but it does weed out companies that are basically just renting the license from someone who maybe retired and doesn't actively use it anymore.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.