"Rainbow Lifeguard" Model 300 Chlorine Feeder - is it necessary?

kbuhagiar

Silver Supporter
Jul 29, 2022
Escondido, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Hello Pool Peeps,

Today I discovered a slight leak at my chlorine feeder (Rainbow Lifeguard Model 300, but it looks just like a Pentair 300). I went to fix it and only made it worse, as every line and fitting connected is literally crumbling away to nothing. I shut down the pool and need to take action.

Based on my observations it appears that this unit is probably original to the pool build, therefor about 22 years old. It doesn't look like it has been used for years (my pool guy puts chlorine tabs into the skimmer), so it either needs to be replaced or eliminated. If I can find caps to fit on the fittings on the intake and return pipes I may do that to eliminate the leaks, at least temporarily.

Can I remove this unit permanently, or should I replace it? I eventually plan on taking over full-time maintenance of the pool by myself, so if this is something I need I will replace it.

Next question - if I do need to replace it, will a Pentair 300/320 basically bolt in place of the old unit?

Thanks in advance!

You have a heater. You do not want to use that device. Best to put a SWCG in its place, or just remove.

Do not let the pool guy put pucks in the skimmer. What is happening to that chlorinator is also happening to your skimmer, pump, etc from those pucks. If you insist on using pucks, only use a floating dispenser.

You have a heater. You do not want to use that device. Best to put a SWCG in its place, or just remove.

Do not let the pool guy put pucks in the skimmer. What is happening to that chlorinator is also happening to your skimmer, pump, etc from those pucks. If you insist on using pucks, only use a floating dispenser.
I appreciate the reply.

Why is the chlorine dispenser/tower incompatible with a pool heater? Not disagreeing, just curious.

I'm thinking I'm not the first guy to remove a previously installed chlorine tower/dispenser - do any of the pool accessory manufacturers make a cap that I can use to permanently close off the hose connections to the outflow and bypass pipes? That would make this task so much easier.

Thanks again.

Unless you run the pump 24/7 when pucks in that device, the extremely acidic stew in them can be pulled into the heater when the pump is off.

You might find individual parts to plug it up, but nothing specific for that purpose.

UPDATE - I have fixed the leak by removing the chlorine feeder completely and running a new section of 3/8" poly tubing between the two saddle fittings. I consider this a temporary fix which may or may not become permanent. As I said before, this feeder hadn't been used in ages, so if nothing else I am maintaining the status quo and can keep using the pool in the meantime.

Thanks again mknauss, I appreciate your input and will take it into consideration. I'm going to do some more research and then make a determination as to whether to install a new chlorinator or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.