RAIN WATER POOL LEVEL RISING FAST PHOENIX

MarkThomasAZ

Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2020
Scottsdale, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Not sure if this is the "correct" forum but here goes.
Finally have a problem with too much rain in Phoenix.
My pool water level is rising fast with rain.
This may be a dumb question but do I need to go out there and drain
some of the water out via the pump?
The contractor put a spigot on the return pipe I think strictly for that purpose?
Or do I just let it overflow? The water is going to go in the same place
either way????

You don't want your water level to rise above the tiles. Water can seep between the bond beam and coping (or deck) and cause damage.

Does your pool have an overflow? If not, use the spigot on your plumbing, with the pump running, to drain water. Turn the valve off before you shut off your pump.

Unless you are getting run off into your pool, which you really do not want, it is a pretty rare day to get 6" or so of rain to overflow your pool.

I would suggest you get a low priced sump pump (Harbor Freight, Amazon) to have on hand to drain the pool water. You will need it eventually.

Ours got pretty high too. We have 3 row of 2” tile and it was up to the middle of the top one. It was back to normal yesterday so I guess our auto leveler works. I knew it did well keeping it filled. Now we know it drains it too, just took a little while. It was a lot of rain very fast.

Reactions: MarkThomasAZ
My pool level raised by about 1/2" yesterday in 3 hours then the rain stopped. I figure it will be extraordinarily rare to get enough rain to overflow the pool here. It would have to be similar to the event in September of 2014 when the entire valley was underwater and drivers were swimming out of their cars on the I-10. That storm set the state record when it dumped 3.5 inches in Phoenix and 5.5 inches in Chandler in just hours.

My pool level raised by about 1/2" yesterday in 3 hours then the rain stopped. I figure it will be extraordinarily rare to get enough rain to overflow the pool here. It would have to be similar to the event in September of 2014 when the entire valley was underwater and drivers were swimming out of their cars on the I-10. That storm set the state record when it dumped 3.5 inches in Phoenix and 5.5 inches in Chandler in just hours.
Yes agree....I was using the wrong tile line to judge the level. I wasn't even close to overflowing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have an overflow? That would be surprising.

I suspect that evaporation occurred lowering your water level to normal.
I could be wrong. Paperwork said, auto leveler. So maybe just a fill? I just know that was a lot of water to evaporate that fast.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.