Rain water gathering around pool

howardtopher

Sep 22, 2019
Chattanooga, TN
Our pool was installed the last week of August. We're in the southeast had have had a serious drought going on and only had about 1in of rain total since July. Until today. We're up to 2in and only about half way through what they say we're going to get. We have some landscapers working on cleaning up the mess from the install and putting a stone circle around the pool with river rocks inside. They were going to start today, but rain instead. Now that it's really raining, one corner of the pool area is holding water pretty bad. It's a couple inches deep. Picture attached. This is a resin pool. Should this pooling water be a concern or is it only a problem if it lingers after the rain stops? Should I talk to the landscapers and get them to install a gravity drain in this corner or should I just get a sump pump with drain out to the low side?

image0.jpeg

I never like water pooling like that and the ground getting soft.

What type of blocks and supports are under the pool legs? How good was the ground prepared under them? Will the water soften the ground and any of the legs sink down?

The builder used stones like this (stones). No idea if that's what they used, but they look the same. I just hunted down a picture for you. They broke them in half and then stacked two under each of the side legs (the buttress ones), both outside the pool and inside the pool. As far as I know, the legs on the rounded parts didn't get any stones under them. I have no idea how well the ground was prepared as I didn't sit out there and watch, but they did drive their bobcat over it a lot as they leveled the area.

The rain has stopped finally and most of the water is gone, just some small puddles left, but the ground is very soft. We certainly don't want the pool failing. I'm not sure how I would tell if the legs were sinking until they dropped quite a bit and then it's going to be too late.

Any ideas of how to keep the water from pooling? Would something like this work around the outside next to the blocks the landscapers are going to install? https://www.lowes.com/pd/NDS-60-in-L-x-1-25-in-W-x-1-in-Dia-Easy-Channel-System/3514344

I think the problem with that channel system is it clogs with dirt.

To do it right you need to trench around the pool and put in some landscaping fabric, perforated pipe, and gravel.

The problem you have is they created a low spot around the pool and the grassy area is higher. You have to trench away lower with perferated pipe and gravel so the water will have a reason to go away from there. Water will not climb out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.